Thumbnail Image Quality / Compression Setting

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Please consider making ImageQuality an Admin configurable setting rather than hard coded at 100.  Perhaps a new setting something like mediasettings.thumbimagequality.  It could be limited to values between 60 and 100.
12 years ago
It's not hardcoded. Go to Configuration/Media Settings. You can set image size for all images on that page.
12 years ago
I see image size there, but no image quality setting, which is what I am interested in.  Being able to control the image quality allows you to improve the page load time by compressing images to reduce file size.
12 years ago
Thanks. I've just created a work item.
7 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Thanks. I've just created a work item.

Dear Andrei,

It seems this image quality doesn't work for png file the file size remains the same.
7 years ago
stom wrote:
It seems this image quality doesn't work for png file the file size remains the same.

I'd expect the image quality to only apply to jpg files since it's a trade off between image quality and image size.

Unlike jpegs which are lossy, png is a lossless format so you can't really reduce the quality to reduce the file size in the same way you can with a jpeg (unless you reduce the color depth). Having said that there are tools available to minimise png file size, have a look at something like pngcrush for an example.

The best way to keep file sizes low is to simply start with the right image format for the type of image you have, which nearly always means a jpeg file for photographic images. This Stack Overflow answer gives a good overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the different web image formats if you're unsure: http://stackoverflow.com/a/16440764.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.