We need your help! Take nopCommerce survey & help us to help you.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
SWW wrote:
How about an email to your distribution list?

Already done (was included in the email campaign about the new release - 2.60)
11 years ago
a.m. wrote:
How about an email to your distribution list?
Already done (was included in the email campaign about the new release - 2.60)

Andrei: I didnt open that mail because I knew about the new release. I think it would be a good idea to send another mail for the survey purpose and/or v2.7.
11 years ago
I'm curious. If nopCommerce charges per incident, then is it just for bugs or for new features also? And, does the fix/feature make it into the next release for everyone to benefit? Furthermore, how is the incedent priority determined; is it whoever pays the most takes precedence? IMO show stoppers (major problems with nopCommerce source) should take precedence over minor issues with lots of money behind them? I think a way to alleviate money bumping up priority is to charge the same amount per incedent, so it doesn't become like an auction or bid war.
11 years ago
breakskater wrote:
I'm curious. If nopCommerce charges per incident, then is it just for bugs or for new features also? And, does the fix/feature make it into the next release for everyone to benefit? Furthermore, how is the incedent priority determined; is it whoever pays the most takes precedence? IMO show stoppers (major problems with nopCommerce source) should take precedence over minor issues with lots of money behind them? I think a way to alleviate money bumping up priority is to charge the same amount per incedent, so it doesn't become like an auction or bid war.

I don't think that you got the professional support services right. It's not for bugs or new features.

Bugs still can be posted on the community forums. They'll always be solved for free (because they're bugs). And of course, they'll be fixed in the next release. But if somebody reports a bug on the forums, it's not always fixed within the next 24 hours (but in many cases it is). The professional support will guarantee that you'll get the fix within 24 hours (of example, if it's really critical for you).

As for features. The professional support is not for developing new features and voting them up and giving them more priority to be added in the next releases (as it's done on codeplex). In most cases new features are much more complex than a simple support request. Implementing new features requires a lot of time and in this case you'll need customization services. If a requested feature is demanded by the community, then it'll be included in the next official release.

This support will include:
- General questions (Configuration, installation and upgrade questions, optimization, etc)
- Basic development and customization questions
- Bug fixing (within 24 hours)
- Architectural advising
- Custom code review
This support will not include:
- Support for third-party plugins and themes
- Complex customization queries

In case you need a fast and precise response, the professional support services is for you. Professional support services are intended for persons who run mission critical websites, work on projects with tight deadlines, or want to get dedicated support.

Please note that the community forums will also stay here

BTW, it's still not decided whether "per request support" will be offered. Maybe it'll be "per year contract" only.
11 years ago
Survey completed!

Some great questions - it will be interesting to see the results!
11 years ago
Survey completed.
11 years ago
The email sent on Sunday was definitely a good idea.. not many people read the 'NopCommerce 2.6 Released' email as it is usually just a reminder.

I am curious about the results too. I think because we want to know what direction NopCommerce will be taking. Me and my team have spent the last 12 months building successful e-commerce sites, so NC has now become a essential part of our daily work. There are still however a few things that we think are important to consider for the future.

To this, I would like to add something to the discussion about its business model:

NopCommerce needs to focus: Are you targeting 'store owners' or 'integrators'? (please don't say both)

Each will take you to completely different paths.

- Targeting store owners you will end up like: Volusion.com, Wordpress.com, Webbly.com (software as a service)

- Targeting integrators you will end up like: Magento, Wordpress.org, Drupal.

(I know, I know, wordpress is both, but in that case you will need 2 different team working in parallel)

In my view, but I might be wrong, this forum is 30% store owners, 70% integrators. Andrei, you can do a poll and find out.

In my opinion, the 2nd route is the way to go, given that you will always get support from the open source community, giving you feedback, testing, and contributing.

If that was to be the case, then Ralphberger's is right in every sense:

ralphberger wrote:
I've seen lots of open source project go down hill because...
11 years ago
carlosmartinezt wrote:

I am curious about the results too. I think because we want to know what direction NopCommerce will be taking. Me and my team have spent the last 12 months building successful e-commerce sites, so NC has now become a essential part of our daily work. There are still however a few things that we think are important to consider for the future.

To this, I would like to add something to the discussion about its business model:

NopCommerce needs to focus: Are you targeting 'store owners' or 'integrators'? (please don't say both)

Each will take you to completely different paths.

- Targeting store owners you will end up like: Volusion.com, Wordpress.com, Webbly.com (software as a service)

- Targeting integrators you will end up like: Magento, Wordpress.org, Drupal.

(I know, I know, wordpress is both, but in that case you will need 2 different team working in parallel)

In my view, but I might be wrong, this forum is 30% store owners, 70% integrators. Andrei, you can do a poll and find out.

In my opinion, the 2nd route is the way to go, given that you will always get support from the open source community, giving you feedback, testing, and contributing.

If that was to be the case, then Ralphberger's is right in every sense:

I've seen lots of open source project go down hill because...

Here are my 2 cents:
For me and my team also Nop is an essential part of our daily work.

You can rise the licence fee (and maybe for example keep the $50 for a 1 year licence and $100 for an indefinite licence):
- In the past 18 months we have developed  more than 20 stores. In all cases we purchase the licence (nopCommerce copyright removal key) fee.
- 10 out of the first stores in Nop show case had purchased the licence  
- If the licence fee would be raised 100% we would still purchase it (.. maybe with a not so happy face :-))

I agree with Carlos: Nop should target developers:

- The Nop solution as it is now is well above the needs of 95% of do-it-yourself store owners. The remaining 5% can find other open (and not so free) solutions with whom Nop has no sense/need to compete.

- Carlos says there are 30% store owners and 70% integrators and Andrei said: But yes, I presume that we have more developers than merchants. Lets be conservative and assume 40% store owners and 60% integrators, BUT integrators have a multiplying effect since they develope several stores. Asume 10 stores  per integrator and then for every 100 Nop users (store owners + integrators) there will be 40 stores by store owners and 600 by integrators That means 6% vs 94 %!!! And more important most of the 6% by store owners do not have the need/desire to purchase the licence fee and the contrary for the remaining 94%, as it was very well stated by Ralphberger
11 years ago
Please download the survey results here (http://www.nopdownloads.com/downloads/Docs/nopCommerce_survey2012_report.pdf). If you want to discuss them, please do it on this page.
11 years ago
Hi Guys

This may not make me too popular, but I do agree that the nop team do deserve some recompense for the long hours that go into making this such a great product for us developers.

My suggestion would be to have a register for nop developers, and a yearly subscription of $100 which would then entitle us to use the services that nopCommerce provides like the forum and the great software that it provides, that way we can help keep nopCommerce open source and free and reward the team for the hours of development and the support we receive as developers.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.