Best way to move database to production

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
Hi all,

I am starting a new project based on NC v2.6. I Installed it locally connecting to a local database.

What would be the best way to move this database to production server once I complete development? There is no database currently in the production server. (this is a fresh, new project).

Thanks!
11 years ago
Backup the database on your local => Restore from backup on production.
Would that work for you or are there more details here?
11 years ago
Kman wrote:
Backup the database on your local => Restore from backup on production.
Would that work for you or are there more details here?

Hi Kman,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, there is another detail. The site will be hosted on  shared-hosting environment and I am not sure, I will be able to do the restore. I remember I had some problems with that in the past.

Any other recommendation?

Thanks again!
11 years ago
Would you host be willing to restore your backup to a new DB or will you need to do this on a regular basis?
11 years ago
LAM-ECOM wrote:

Yes, there is another detail. The site will be hosted on  shared-hosting environment and I am not sure, I will be able to do the restore. I remember I had some problems with that in the past.

Most host will allow one of two methods to initially setup your database. One, they will take a backup and do the restore for you. Two, they may take a detached .mdf and also attach it to an empty database setup on your server.

About the only other methods I know of is to start with an empty database at your host then transfer the structure and data via third party tools. This can be done if you have the data edition of Visual Studio or Red Gate tools has two good programs to do this. First is SQL Compare and second is SQL Data compare. The last one I did I used the Red Gate tools. I think you can get a thirty day trial on these if you want to give it a go against an empty database at your host.

Also, you can let nop create the empty database structure and then use SQL Data Compare to get your data in there.

Good luck,
Kman
11 years ago
most of hosting companies offer you the control panel which you can upload and restore your database.
11 years ago
Kman wrote:

Most host will allow one of two methods to initially setup your database. One, they will take a backup and do the restore for you. Two, they may take a detached .mdf and also attach it to an empty database setup on your server.

About the only other methods I know of is to start with an empty database at your host then transfer the structure and data via third party tools. This can be done if you have the data edition of Visual Studio or Red Gate tools has two good programs to do this. First is SQL Compare and second is SQL Data compare. The last one I did I used the Red Gate tools. I think you can get a thirty day trial on these if you want to give it a go against an empty database at your host.

Also, you can let nop create the empty database structure and then use SQL Data Compare to get your data in there.

Good luck,
Kman

I was wondering if I could "re-install" NC, selecting an empty DB on the Server, and then simply transfer the data I might have locally. Would that work?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.