Whose your host? My current one is horrible, I need to change

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
Can anyone explain to me how the pricing structure of AWS works? I've been wanting to move to them as well, but can't figure out how it would work for hosting nopCommerce.
11 years ago
SilhouetteBS wrote:
Can anyone explain to me how the pricing structure of AWS works? I've been wanting to move to them as well, but can't figure out how it would work for hosting nopCommerce.

this should help you with AWS' pricing

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html
11 years ago
I thought I would give everyone an update on how my upgrade to the Business Class hosting went with Arvixe.

I just switched from a Personal to a Business Class package. The sales person had said that Arvixe would take care of migrating everything for me and it could take a couple of days.

I got my emails about a new hosting account was created and the information about how to access things. I then got an email from a tech saying that non of my email accounts are included in the migration and that in order to migrate them I would have to do it myself or Arvixe would charge $5 per account to do it. That would have been nice to know up front. Really irritated about that. Now I have to contact each customer with email accounts and find out what their passwords are to get things setup and transfer email around. The tech said that they gave me extra time before they are going to shut off the old accounts, but really, tell me up front about that or do it for free!

I also received an email saying that none of the site settings were migrated either and that it was up to me to get those settings changed. That would have been nice to know up front as well.

Last but not least, I waited over 12 hours to get a response to my case about questions I had about emails and an SSL and static IP that was needed for a site. Mean while the customers site is rendered useless. Once they did apply the SSL and the static IP to the site, they deleted the A record for www so now I had to add it back with the static IP address and now have to wait for DNS to propagate before anyone can access the site!!!

UPDATE: DNS finally propagated, but I am still waiting for them to transfer one of my sites.

What a joke! They should refund my money for this type of crap.

If someone can give me a great overview of how hosting on Rackspace, AWS, and Azure works, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ticket: #DIW-894-24758
11 years ago
SilhouetteBS - I've escalated your situation - please let me know if you aren't contacted shortly.
11 years ago
I'm using Azure and everything is within your control there is no waiting or migration hassles (unless you create them yourself). SQL Azure is fast and compliments the Azure CDN that delivers my static content nicely. Remote desktop access, ftp, and http publishing/access makes changes a breeze. The management portal is easy and intuitive to use and best of all if I need to scale up or down I can with just 1 click.
11 years ago
ByronP wrote:
I'm using Azure and everything is within your control there is no waiting or migration hassles (unless you create them yourself). SQL Azure is fast and compliments the Azure CDN that delivers my static content nicely. Remote desktop access, ftp, and http publishing/access makes changes a breeze. The management portal is easy and intuitive to use and best of all if I need to scale up or down I can with just 1 click.

What specs do you use an what do you pay?
11 years ago
I was using website free which is not good for nop, shared or whatever the next level up is is good for a basic install of nop, however I'm using a small reserved instance because I have a bit more traffic then what the others can handle before reaching there caps. I don't pay because I'm both an msdn subscriber and a member of biz spark. Even if I did pay I would still use it because I can just press a button and scale out to more instances and back down when not needed without any down time. The cavet being that this is what works for me and my use case might not be right for others who want full support and installation help etc..
11 years ago
Note that unlike traditional hosts, Azure does not include email mailboxes (nor a reader client).
10 years ago
ByronP wrote:

You imply you scale with a click easy to do on Azure but how do you run nop across multiple instances or by scaling do you mean up the server size? I suspect its the server size you mean which then means you are limited by the Large Size (4 cores 7GB) but in my experience of both Azure and AWS the speed you actually pull from the machines is nothing like you'd expect I'd be interested to hear your experience?
10 years ago
If you only need one site, and will only ever need one site, try discountasp.net. Good guys, and it's pretty easy to set up and use, and not too expensive.

However, I am switching to Azure because I don't only need one site, and discountasp has just decided that they are not going to support multiple sites. Whatever, their choice, they are very good at single sites, so you can't really argue.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.