Performance optimization needed - NOPCOMMERCE IS TOO SLOW !

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:
And what about the multiple calls to the same code?
Hi Nicolas,

Please clarify

Hi Andei, here is the detail from my first post :

[quote=nicolas.muniere]- Some processes are called twice ore more in the code. Example: in GetDiscountAmount, we call GetPreferredDiscount, and a few lines later we call GetFinalPrice. Both methods are looking for the applied discount.
Proposition: for this example, GetFinalPrice could have a new parameter 'out Discount appliedDiscount' needed in many cases[quote=a.m.]
10 years ago
Moving off EF would be a very risky business move for nopCommerce imo. Companies hire developers with lots of various .NET experience which includes EF...its one of the selling features of the platform... not to mention all the general independent developers that would affected.
I would recommend not leaving EF now, but spend the next iteration improving performance by other means and re-evaluate this decision a year from now...basically if Microsoft doesn't do something within a year, then it could be time for such a drastic move.
Andrei, while searching for a recent status of 2 level caching for EF, I came across this article.  [url] http://blog.3d-logic.com/2014/03/20/second-level-cache-for-ef-6-1/[/url]
Its from last month so it is recent...very interesting read and would be interested in your thoughts on it.

I mentioned in another post to begin leveraging more background process that populate calculated fields that are relevant during catalog browsing.  That could also help.
10 years ago
ChuckR wrote:
Moving off EF would be a very risky business move for nopCommerce imo. Companies hire developers with lots of various .NET experience which includes EF...its one of the selling features of the platform... not to mention all the general independent developers that would affected.
I would recommend not leaving EF now, but spend the next iteration improving performance by other means and re-evaluate this decision a year from now...basically if Microsoft doesn't do something within a year, then it could be time for such a drastic move.
Andrei, while searching for a recent status of 2 level caching for EF, I came across this article.  [url] http://blog.3d-logic.com/2014/03/20/second-level-cache-for-ef-6-1/[/url]
Its from last month so it is recent...very interesting read and would be interested in your thoughts on it.

I mentioned in another post to begin leveraging more background process that populate calculated fields that are relevant during catalog browsing.  That could also help.

I agree with you, we do not need to move off EF, but we can improve the way we use it.
And I totally agree with you when you say "spend the next iteration improving performance"

I proposed many improvements, concerning change tracking, lazy loading for example, nobody answers on these points. The idea was not to kill EF but use it better, with official and documented options. And these options was created to use EF faster, I don't understand why we are waiting to integrate this.
It's a shame for me to have 50 or 100 database request to  load a page, I can't explain to my customers why there store is so slow, it's not there problem, it's mine.
10 years ago
ChuckR wrote:
Moving off EF would be a very risky business move for nopCommerce imo...

I also agree with you. It won't happen in the near time (and most probably, it will never happen).

ChuckR wrote:
Its from last month so it is recent...very interesting read and would be interested in your thoughts on it..

Thanks for the link. But I think 2-level caching should be officially (!!!) supported. Such third-party libraries usually unstable. And nobody can guarantee that it'll be supported and maintained for the latest versions of EF
10 years ago
nicolas.muniere wrote:
I proposed many improvements, concerning change tracking, lazy loading for example, nobody answers on these points. The idea was not to kill EF but use it better, with official and documented options. And these options was created to use EF faster, I don't understand why we are waiting to integrate this.
It's a shame for me to have 50 or 100 database request to  load a page, I can't explain to my customers why there store is so slow, it's not there problem, it's mine.

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks. I still have links to all your suggestions on my internal performance improvements list. All possible suggestions were implemented. But some of them are too complex to implement. For example, change tracking. There's just no good way to implement it. It'll require each service method to be extended with "bool disableChangeTracking" (or "readOnly"), etc.Maybe, I missed something. It would be great if you could demonstrate how exactly it could be implemented.
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Hi Nicolas,

Thanks. I still have links to all your suggestions on my internal performance improvements list. All possible suggestions were implemented. But some of them are too complex to implement. For example, change tracking. There's just no good way to implement it. It'll require each service method to be extended with "bool disableChangeTracking" (or "readOnly"), etc.Maybe, I missed something. It would be great if you could demonstrate how exactly it could be implemented.

Hi Andrei!
You are right, we could add readOnly parameter to each GetSomething method, in last position with default value to false, so that it would not affect existing code for developers. Then a single line would disable change tracking like this example :

public virtual IPagedList<Category> GetAllCategories(string categoryName = "", 
            int pageIndex = 0, int pageSize = int.MaxValue, bool showHidden = false, bool readOnly = false)
        {
            var query = _categoryRepository.Table;
           if (readOnly) query = query.AsNoTracking();

The second step is to set this new parameter to true for homepage, categories and products in priority, then have a reflexion on settings, locales, etc.
10 years ago
nicolas.muniere wrote:
Hi Andrei!
You are right, we could add readOnly parameter to each GetSomething method, in last position with default value to false, so that it would not affect existing code for developers. Then a single line would disable change tracking like this example :

public virtual IPagedList<Category> GetAllCategories(string categoryName = "", 
            int pageIndex = 0, int pageSize = int.MaxValue, bool showHidden = false, bool readOnly = false)
        {
            var query = _categoryRepository.Table;
           if (readOnly) query = query.AsNoTracking();

The second step is to set this new parameter to true for homepage, categories and products in priority, then have a reflexion on settings, locales, etc.

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks. That's what I've been talking about. This approach will make source code a bit "ugly" =(( Although for some methods we can do it but not for all. The question is which methods should we modify to support "readonly... I'll investigate it

By the way, service methods with caching (per HTTP request) will also have to be modified to support this new parameter. And in some case it'll increase memory requirements because some entities will be cached twice (with and without tracking enabled). And nopCommerce already has quite serious memory requirements and it can cause further issues on some cheap hosting plans.
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:
All possible suggestions were implemented. But some of them are too complex to implement.

I don't understand, splitting SearchProducts method in a few simpler and faster methods is simple and very efficient. Probably the biggest impact in all my suggestions.

Example
In GetCategoryProductNumber we call
.SearchProducts(categoryIds: categoryIds,  storeId: _storeContext.CurrentStore.Id, visibleIndividuallyOnly: true, pageSize: 1)

in PrepareProductDetailsPageModel we call
.SearchProducts(storeId: _storeContext.CurrentStore.Id,  visibleIndividuallyOnly: false, parentGroupedProductId: product.Id)

It's just examples to show that theses simple calls do not need a so complex sql query using a temp table. You already simplified that king of product acces for the home page, with two methods GetAllCategoriesDisplayedOnHomePage and GetAllProductsDisplayedOnHomePage. We have to do the same to load associated products etc. probably each call that do not use keywords or paging.
10 years ago
nicolas.muniere wrote:
I don't understand, splitting SearchProducts method in a few simpler and faster methods is simple and very efficient. Probably the biggest impact in all my suggestions.

Example
.SearchProducts(categoryIds: categoryIds,  storeId: _storeContext.CurrentStore.Id, visibleIndividuallyOnly: true, pageSize: 1)

.SearchProducts(storeId: _storeContext.CurrentStore.Id,  visibleIndividuallyOnly: false, parentGroupedProductId: product.Id)

It's just examples to show that theses simple calls do not need a so complex sql query using a temp table. You already simplified that king of product acces for the home page, with two methods GetAllCategoriesDisplayedOnHomePage and GetAllProductsDisplayedOnHomePage. We have to do the same to load associated products etc. probably each call that do not use keywords or paging.

I did not properly write. It should be "All possible suggestions were implemented. All recent suggestions are also tracked and will be implemented soon"

BTW, please see changeset 53a9b1906f79. Thanks again
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:

Example

I did not properly write. It should be "All possible suggestions were implemented. All recent suggestions are also tracked and will be implemented soon"

BTW, please see changeset 53a9b1906f79. Thanks again

It's OK Andrei :)
Thank YOU for your work!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.