Performance optimization needed - NOPCOMMERCE IS TOO SLOW !

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
9 years ago
Follow-up to this post: I basically got my SearchProducts code from this SQL query:

http://pastebin.com/AHknbM99

Down to this

Much neater IMO, and saves valuable milliseconds from not having to transfer excess data from the database.
9 years ago
sproaty wrote:
I basically got my SearchProducts code from this SQL query:

http://pastebin.com/AHknbM99

Down to this

Much neater IMO, and saves valuable milliseconds from not having to transfer excess data from the database.

Very interesting suggestion, you are pointing another database access optimization. Impact on development is very important, but the result is here...
9 years ago
My performance tuning has been of a result of seeing how many queries were being executed by using Glimpse and not being too impressed by the results. The controllers were doing far too much for what I needed and as we have such specific use cases for product listing pages then a re-write was much easier.

A custom Route we use that catches all URLs {*url} parses the URL into its relevant pieces and populates an object that containns the matched Category, Manufacturer, price ranges, sort options etc etc. This object is then passed to the controller which then calls a couple of service methods to retrieve further filtering information for that page (other brands, subcategories, gender, price ranges) and transforms then into relatively-small view models.

So the Action method of the controller itself is about 30 lines of code, with a couple of private methods for creating the view models. Any view logic is pushed into these view models; absolutely no logic in the views.

This takes about 6 database calls, all of which are heavily optimised to not fetch too much data and to basically push as much data set querying (distinct rows, row counts, grouping etc) to the database rather than doing it in code.
9 years ago
a.m. wrote:

2. Move from EF to Dapper (work item here). This way performance could be much better than in the first case. The first issue is that it'll require SIGNIFICANT source code refactoring. It can seriously effect existing developers. The second issue is that almost every ASP.NET developer is familiar with EF. And I presume that only 2-3% of them worked with Dapper. Of course, we can talk about leaning curve and so on. But it can seriously effect product popularity

This is the most optimal approach and is what I do when I develop custom made financial ASP.NET applications by using this approach:

EF for modeling and every DB task that is not subject to high traffic

Dapper and SPs for every DB task that is subject to high traffic

This way you end up with the best of both worlds: Fast coding and changes with EF, high performance only where it's absolutely needed with Dapper.
9 years ago
ChuckR wrote:
Moving off EF would be a very risky business move for nopCommerce imo. Companies hire developers with lots of various .NET experience which includes EF...its one of the selling features of the platform... not to mention all the general independent developers that would affected.

The current Nop Commerce is not EF dependent per se, there is a model layer and there is an IRepostry interface that gives the implementation flexibility in it's dependence from EF, additionally in the bottleneck that we're talking about the code is using EF to call the SPs, much as Dapper does more efficiently, so moving this performance sensitive code from EF to Dapper really won't be a problem.

As I said before, EF is very important because it brings fast coding and changes and it makes the 95% of the plumbing code faster to write and mantain, but it's really way overdue to tune the parts where the bottleneck SPs are called.
9 years ago
progresivo wrote:

EF for modeling and every DB task that is not subject to high traffic

This way you end up with the best of both worlds: Fast coding and changes with EF, high performance only where it's absolutely needed with Dapper.

I absolutly agree on this point, hight traffic parts should be treated with more care.
9 years ago
progresivo wrote:

I don't think is necessary, my posts above show "high traffic" pages rendering in < 300ms using pure EF queries.
9 years ago
Finally Updated to Nopcommerce 3.3 as i was facing performance issue with 3.2 version.

But result are worst. In my case i was getting better performance from 3.2 version.

Let me know you that.
I have 2100 product categories and 2,50,000 Products.

My page is taking 1-2 mins to load.
9 years ago
While doing some reading up on EF and AutoMapper I came across this blog post by Jimmy Bogard, which has some interesting techniques for reducing the number of DB queries and the data it returns, especially for cases where we only read from the database.
9 years ago
govi2010 wrote:
Finally Updated to Nopcommerce 3.3 as i was facing performance issue with 3.2 version.

But result are worst. In my case i was getting better performance from 3.2 version.

Let me know you that.
I have 2100 product categories and 2,50,000 Products.

My page is taking 1-2 mins to load.

I've just tested the default installation with 10K categories and 100Kproducts. Page load is about 1 second. Please share your database backup and provided a complete list of steps to reproduce the issue
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.