Paypal, BEFORE order is created? Ver 3.3

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
9 years ago
We used to be on 2.65 and a customers order was not complete until the paypal transaction was complete, just like if they were to use a credit card, it's not complete until they pay.  

Now (3.3) the order is completed and the customer is then sent to paypal to pay, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  Usually it's a goof or address mixup of some sort, but either way, the customer doesn't make the purchase.   The best case scenario the customer get's frustrated but manages to place a 2nd or 3rd order that finally goes through, or uses a CC instead, but in a lot of cases I'm sure they get frustrated and go elsewhere.    

At this point, the order has already been created, effected our inventory, sent the customer a confirmation email and then, we have to go back in and cancel the order and notify the customer.

Am I doing something wrong here on my end? Is there a better method?

I recently ordered something from a Suggested NOP Plugin provider (a big one) and as a customer I had the same problem with their site too so I know it's not just me.

This has to be a common problem with everyone right?  Are there any solutions for this?
9 years ago
Hello ,

nopCommerce flow is create order before completed . Your method for  now is ok.  So If you want to change this flow you need to change hard code . Normally of course need to create after order payed ( especially for  credit card ) but for money/order or check money must stay like that after site owner confirm must completed .

Any way can be suggestion about create order depends on payment methods .

Thank you .
9 years ago
mtek wrote:

nopCommerce flow is create order before completed . Your method for  now is ok.  So If you want to change this flow you need to change hard code . Normally of course need to create after order payed ( especially for  credit card ) but for money/order or check money must stay like that after site owner confirm must completed . .

Thanks, but I'm not talking about money orders, or checks, I'm talking about Paypal specifically, which should work just like credit cards for products.   Customers who buy tangible products should be completing payment BEFORE the order is created as to not frustrate the customer, screw up our inventory and cause extra data in our database.  

I understand NOP may be used buy a lot of people who sell downloadable products or maybe others take checks, but for an online retailer who sells products, you need to process payment before you create the order.

At the very least this seems like it should be an obvious option.
9 years ago
Paypal Express confirms payment details, delivery before the order is placed, which might be a better fit for you.

I know it's very annoying as a lot of customers want to see how the payment workflow works which often means they complete the order then not pay for once in Paypal.
9 years ago
craig.smith wrote:
Paypal Express confirms payment details, delivery before the order is placed, which might be a better fit for you.

I know it's very annoying as a lot of customers want to see how the payment workflow works which often means they complete the order then not pay for once in Paypal.

Thanks A lot Craig, it's been a while now and I'm trying to remember what the reason was we did not use paypal express?

Seems like there was an issue.   Does PayPal express mean that you have to use their merchant account?  Or is there somewhere I can see what the differences are between express and standard?
9 years ago
Yes I believe you have to use Paypal merchant for Express. Have a look at their website, there is plenty of information and diagrams to show you the workflow:

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_additional-payment-ref-impl1

If you are using paypal pro (direct), you will probably have to do some changes to the gateway to do what your after. What you need to do is an Authorization before creating the order, this will double check the credit card is valid and can be used but doesn't take any money. Then create the order in nop and go back to paypal to process the payment.
9 years ago
craig.smith wrote:
Yes I believe you have to use Paypal merchant for Express. Have a look at their website, there is plenty of information and diagrams to show you the workflow:

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_additional-payment-ref-impl1

If you are using paypal pro (direct), you will probably have to do some changes to the gateway to do what your after. What you need to do is an Authorization before creating the order, this will double check the credit card is valid and can be used but doesn't take any money. Then create the order in nop and go back to paypal to process the payment.

I guess I just don't follow why I can't use our regular Authorize.net account and merchant account like we always have for credit cards, then... on a completely separate issue, ... customer instead chooses paypal, goes there, pays, then that comes back and completes and confirms the order, the exact same process.   Paypal is (at best) not the best merchant provider for a company that is doing 6,7,8 figure annual credit card sales, makes no sense to me.   Why is it other merchants have no problem with this?
9 years ago
There are 2 Paypal plugins:  Direct and Standard.  Direct is a standard CC plugin, the card is charged and if it's successful the order is created.  Standard redirects the customer to Paypal.com after the order is created and if they are successful it redirects them back to your site.

If you want to use authorize.net there is a separate plugin for that, don't even bother with paypal.  Paypal Standard is for merchants that don't want to deal with a merchant account or having CC info touch their site.  I offer it as a 2nd option in addition to a CC plugin and about half of my customers choose it.
9 years ago
AndyMcKenna wrote:
There are 2 Paypal plugins:  Direct and Standard.  Direct is a standard CC plugin, the card is charged and if it's successful the order is created.  Standard redirects the customer to Paypal.com after the order is created and if they are successful it redirects them back to your site.

If you want to use authorize.net there is a separate plugin for that, don't even bother with paypal.  Paypal Standard is for merchants that don't want to deal with a merchant account or having CC info touch their site.  I offer it as a 2nd option in addition to a CC plugin and about half of my customers choose it.

So Direct is using the paypal merchant account is that correct?

I don't understand how every other user of NOPcommerce doesn't have this problem there is no other cart system that I know of or website outside of nop that creates an order and order number before payment is collected via paypal, and I'm guessing the vast majority of these sites do not use the paypal merchant account.

Is there no 3rd party that has come up with a plugin of some kind for this?  This seems to be very basic industry standard e-commerce cart flow.  to be honest I can't understand why anyone would want the system to create an order before requesting payment, that is just asking for trouble with 0 upside that I'm aware of.  

Am I missing something?  

Can anyone show me ANY website that takes paypal that gives you an order number before you pay that is not a nopcommerce site?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.