How do I hide/disable seach engines from our developemt site?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
Hi
We are currently we are running NOP 3.6 on a subdomain for development. Is there a recommend method for keeping search engines from finding it? It is starting to show up now in search engines and confusing customers . HA.  
I guess it is a good thing that we know SEO is working good!

I tried editing the robots.tt but that did not seem to stop them.

Thanks Chris
8 years ago
ChrisLudwig wrote:
Hi
We are currently we are running NOP 3.6 on a subdomain for development. Is there a recommend method for keeping search engines from finding it? It is starting to show up now in search engines and confusing customers . HA.  

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

The best and recommended way to prevent search engine to crawl and index your site is to disallow them using robots.txt file.

If that is not working, then you may also put a website under password protected directory so it requires username/pwd before someone can access site. Else, you can use Store Closed feature and allow only admin to access site. To do this, go to admin panel > General and miscellaneous settings > Store Information tab.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Krunal
8 years ago
The file robots.txt generates automatically. You can't create or edit it manually. Don't forgot about it.
8 years ago
ChrisLudwig wrote:
Hi
Thanks Chris

i think robot.txt should work but may be you are not able to edit it and its autogenerated when it called  http:\\storeurl\robot.txt

so if you want to add more disallow url to robot.txt then you can modify "RobotsTextFile" action of "CommonController"

so you can edit this to DisAllow all the required path.
8 years ago
Hi,

You can also do it by a redirect in this way (I use it myself)

Put his in your web.config file in the "system.webServer" section:
    <rewrite>
      <rules>
        <rule name="Redirect [SUBDOMAIN] to [DOMAIN]" stopProcessing="true">
          <match url=".*" />
          <conditions>
            <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^[SUBDOMAIN]$" />
          </conditions>
          <action type="Redirect" url="http://[DOMAIN]/{R:0}" redirectType="Permanent" />
        </rule>
      </rules>
    </rewrite>
8 years ago
On second thoughts, I'm not sure how the above will work in an ongoing development, because it will of course redirect you as developer also.

I am using the above in Azure where you are forced to have a subdomain in the azure domain.
8 years ago
vipul.dumaniya wrote:
Hi
Thanks Chris

i think robot.txt should work but may be you are not able to edit it and its autogenerated when it called  http:\\storeurl\robot.txt

so if you want to add more disallow url to robot.txt then you can modify "RobotsTextFile" action of "CommonController"

so you can edit this to DisAllow all the required path.

Hi,
Is this something I have to do in the source code?
Using the no source version.

Chris
8 years ago
larsnymand wrote:
On second thoughts, I'm not sure how the above will work in an ongoing development, because it will of course redirect you as developer also.

I am using the above in Azure where you are forced to have a subdomain in the azure domain.

Hi,
The dev site is located in a subdomain of the main site.
Does this redirect it to the main site?

Chris
8 years ago
>Is this something I have to do in the source code?
Yes.
8 years ago
You could add an X-Robots-Tag http header in IIS if you didn't want to change the source.  Not sure which bots take notice of it but I expect the main ones do.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.