Some SEO optimizations

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
15 years ago
The this that is bugging me is the way URLs are displayed.
Now the URLs for categories and products are like this:
- http://www.yourstore.com/Category/id-category-name.aspx
- http://www.yourstore.com/Product/id-product-name.aspx
But to optimize even more you can alter the settings and code in nopCommerce so you display the URLs even more nicely, like this:
- http://www.yourstore.com/categoryId-categoryName.aspx
- http://www.yourstore.com/categoryId-categoryName/productId-productName.aspx
You'll be asking why keep the id's for both categories and products. Because nopCommerce won't recognize the virtual path.

So the modifications are as follows:
1. In the admin area go to Configuration > Global settings > SEO/Display and set the Product and Category URL rewrite format as:
- product: {0}{1}-{2}/{3}-{4}.aspx
- category: {0}{1}-{2}.aspx

2. In the URLConfig.config from the nopCommerce web app modify the product and category rewrite rules like this:

<add name="ProductDetailsRewrite" virtualUrl="^~/([0-9]*)-([\w-]*)/([0-9]*)-([\w-]*)\.aspx(?:\?(.*))?"
         rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString"
         destinationUrl="~/Product.aspx?ProductID=$3&amp;$4"
         ignoreCase="true" />

<add name="CategoryDetailsRewrite" virtualUrl="^~/([0-9]*)-([\w-]*)\.aspx(?:\?(.*))?"
     destinationUrl="~/Category.aspx?CategoryID=$1&amp;$2"
     ignoreCase="true" />

*I don't know if the $4 and $2 from the destinationUrls are useless so I left them there. They are the product and category names

3. In code go to nopCommerce solution > Libraries > Nop.Common > SEO > SEOHelper.cs and replace the GetProductURL method with

public static string GetProductURL(int ProductID)
{
    Product product = ProductManager.GetProductByID(ProductID);
    if (product == null)
        throw new NopException(string.Format("Product couldn't be loaded. ID={0}", ProductID));
    string seName = GetSEName(product.SEName);
    if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(seName))
    {
        seName = GetSEName(product.Name);
    }

//jkr - seo optimization
    //get the category and display it in the product url
    //1. get the bottom most category - be sure to give the categories DisplayOrders don't leave them as "1"
    Category category = CategoryManager.GetCategoryByID(product.ProductCategories[product.ProductCategories.Count - 1].CategoryID);
    //2. if the category id and name are by some misterious ways null just display "Category" - haven't tested it so if it's not correct don't complain
    int catId = 0;
    string catName = "Category";
    if (category != null)
    {
        //else save the id and name
        catId = category.CategoryID;                
        catName = GetSEName(category.Name);
    }

//so you don't get an error in the format
    string url = string.Format(SettingManager.GetSettingValue("SEO.Product.UrlRewriteFormat"), CommonHelper.GetStoreLocation(false), category.CategoryID, catName, ProductID, seName);
    return url;
}

If you have other SEO optimizations please let the community know about them :)
14 years ago
Good thinking, jkr.

I have done it a bit different though.
I use the following pattern for my products
{0}{2}-p{1}.aspx

Mainly for 2 reasons:
1. In this case I have more permanent urls. So if I decide to rename the category or move my product under another category url stays the same and I don't get penalized for duplicated urls
2. Google likes flat urls by giving first level urls more weight. also keywords closer to the beginning of url get more value, that's why i moved id to the end.
14 years ago
by the way here is rewrite rule if somebody is interested

<add name="ProductDetailsRewrite" virtualUrl="^~/([\w-]*)-p([0-9]*)\.aspx(?:\?(.*))?"
       destinationUrl="~/Product.aspx?ProductID=$2&amp;$3"
       ignoreCase="true" />
14 years ago
Hi,
When created some topic in version 1.20 i got source

<div class="htmlcontent-title">
<span id="ctl00_ctl00_cph1_cph1_ctrlHomePageText_topicHomePageText_lblTitle">My Home Page</span>
</div>

Question. Where it create tag <span>? (in code Modules/TopicPage we can see <asp:Label>)
Thanks
14 years ago
label is transformed to html span by .net
14 years ago
Yes i know, just i need optimize website.
I need to replace the span.
I want to see <h1> instead of <span>
Maybe you know where it`s in the code?
Thx
14 years ago
alexlin wrote:
Yes i know, just i need optimize website.
I need to replace the span.
I want to see <h1> instead of <span>
Maybe you know where it`s in the code?
Thx

instead of using a label use a literal. this acts like a label (well it outputs text) but you can't assign a css class to it and it won't render as a span .
so you can have in your aspx something like

<h1>
<asp:Literal id="litTitle">My home page</asp:Literal>
</h1>

you can also replace the <div class=".."> with <h1> so you don't have to change the code from label to literal (if the text is set in code).
14 years ago
AB Fitness wrote:
Good thinking, jkr.

I have done it a bit different though.
I use the following pattern for my products
{0}{2}-p{1}.aspx

Mainly for 2 reasons:
1. In this case I have more permanent urls. So if I decide to rename the category or move my product under another category url stays the same and I don't get penalized for duplicated urls
2. Google likes flat urls by giving first level urls more weight. also keywords closer to the beginning of url get more value, that's why i moved id to the end.

Thanks for the info.
When i decided to make my urls look that way (category/product) i knew that i wouldn't be changing them. in theory they can be changed, but in practice i don't think so (at least for my app). But i've forgot about the id's and your suggestion is quite good... move the id last.
14 years ago
Hi jkr,
I tried it yesterday
Not work. Debugger sayd me what Literal it`s not type Label and i got
<span> in source code.

Do you know where it rewrite in the code?
Also body of topic it place in span
============
[quote]
<span id="....">
<p>
Some text of topic created in admin side
</p>
</span>

[/quote]

Excuse me for my bad English
14 years ago
don't just rename from asp:Label to asp:Literal. now you need to go into the .designer.cs and find the line that looks like
protected global::System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label litTitle;

and change it to
protected global::System.Web.UI.WebControls.Literal litTitle;

for the lblBody just delete the label, place a literal on the form, name it litBody (or something), go to code (F7) and replace lblBody with litBody.
[quote]Do you know where it rewrite in the code?
Also body of topic it place in span[/quote]
i assume you're referring to Topic.ascx which you'll find in \Modules\
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.