MOVING MY STORE FROM MYDOMAIN.COM/SHOP TO MYDOMAIN.COM

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
i would like to move my store from "shop folder" to mydomain.com
is it simple or not? im wondering if i could just select all files in shop folder (in file manager) and just put em in my root folder.
is this how it works?
13 years ago
I'm not sure that correctly understand what you mean, but suppose that you want to publish your store in the internet. In this case you should upload all required files to site root directory and set required file and folder permissions. When you will have your first visit to the site you will pass through installation process.
13 years ago
no, right now my store is located like this www.hlcstore.com/shop
but i want it to be www.hlcstore.com

without any "/" and folder

how do i do that?
13 years ago
dessau77 wrote:
no, right now my store is located like this www.hlcstore.com/shop
but i want it to be www.hlcstore.com

without any "/" and folder

how do i do that?

do you have "shop" folder on your server where you uploaded your website ?

and where is nopCommerceStore folder located ? inside "shop" folder or on the root directory on the server ?
13 years ago
sorry but i just explained how its located. i installed my nopcomerce store in folder "shop"
now how do i make my nopcomerce store to be just www.hlcstore.com
and NOT "WWW.HLCSTORE.COM/SHOP "
some1 help plz
13 years ago
I have the same question except that /shop is /store in my case. I think that the question was clear enough but, just in case, I will explain further:

When dessau77 installed nopCommerce, he did it in a folder called /shop rather than in the root directory. So did I but my folder was named /store. As a result, dessau's home URL is now: http://www.hlcstore.com/shop/ and he wants to move the installation to the root directory so that his home page is: http://www.hlcstore.com/

I would like to do the same but I'm not sure that this just is a question of moving all files one level up to the root directory. Any help please?
13 years ago
Move all files from shop directory do root directory. Then make sure your root dir is an IIS application and a virtual directory. Usually it is so by default on shared hosting. Make sure your root directory is running asp.net 3.5 (it may be called asp.net 2, but there is also 3.5 installed but cannot be seen - you have to check with your provider).
Then make images/thumbs  folder writeable (change permissions through file manager).
That's it.
You don't have to change the connections strings or other settings.
Just be careful if you had other virtual directories on your site they might experience some problems because when you move the files you will overwrite the web.config that was in root folder.

P.S.
George how is your progress on your collectibles store?

Lev
13 years ago
Thanks Lev, you come to rescue again! I haven't made any progress yet as I upgraded to 1.60 and had to reload all the Greek language resources, translating an additional 1300 or so over the 1.50 language pack. Anyway, I didn't want to have the Administration in Greek, just the store, so I made an hybrid resources set up. I will start working on setting up the store in the next few days. I had to manually set up postage by country and weight band (29 weight bands for each of more than 80 countries).

I'm still learning and experimenting. I can't say that nopCommerce is very user friendly to st up if you are not a programmer. And, although I bought the manual for 1.50, it doesn't have things I wanted to see in it, just explains the Administration menus and the store functions but doesn't, for example, tell how to make a page have one or two side columns. I have to try and find some little information in the forums and then experiment. Having said that, I must admit that it's very powerful and highly configurable if you know what you're doing and I hope I will know eventually.

Thanks again for all your help and for what I've learned from you so far. Your assistance was mainly the reason I didn't give up a few weeks ago!
13 years ago
Athens Collectibles wrote:

Thanks again for all your help and for what I've learned from you so far. Your assistance was mainly the reason I didn't give up a few weeks ago!

Thanks, that's nice to hear.

Athens Collectibles wrote:
how to make a page have one or two side columns

Look in default.aspx
it says:

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/TwoColumn.master" AutoEventWireup="true"
    Inherits="NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web.Default" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" %>

you can change TwoColumn.master to ThreeColumn.master

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/ThreeColumn.master" AutoEventWireup="true"
    Inherits="NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web.Default" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" %>

It will be three columns. You also have OneColumn.master

Note that you have to change it in all files that have
MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/TwoColumn.master"

in the top.
You can use find/replace function in visual studio
13 years ago
Thank you again Lev. That was only an example, my main point is that there's no central point of reference or guidance for non-programmers.

How can I insert HTML code in the <head> section (for example Norton Verification code), how can I create a side column box with javascript contents, how can I remove a side column box that I don't need (for example the Popular Tags), how can I insert code or other contents in the footer and a thousand other questions cannot be answered by the manual. I paid for the manual on the very first day I installed version 1.50, only to learn that I will have to pay again for the 1.60 a few days later. I would have paid 4 or 5 times as much if the manual had some answers to my questions and provided for a free upgrade for a reasonable period of time, say for the next 6 months or a year to keep up with the nopCommerce upgrades.

As it is, the manual doesn't help, there are thousands of files that may contain answers to my questions but I can't have an idea which file does what. Additionally, answers in the forums are mainly addressed to C# programmers or other experts. The simple question is: how can one who is only building a personal store survive and create a decent-looking and operative site? The millions of customisation options available are both a bless (for developers) and a curse for people who want just a basic store. I'm not looking for someone to take my hand and guide me from A to Z, just for a point of reference to spend my evenings reading and trying to understand.

I understand that my views may sound heretic in this community, but it's only a human reaction. I appreciate the work done and being done by the developers, I appreciate that the product is free and the best open source e-commerce solution according to the reviews I read before deciding to go for it, I appreciate that it was my choice and nobody enforced it on me. All I ask (and I'm sure that there are others like me) is that we are acknowledged as enthusiasts but not expert programmers.

Thanks to everyone for listening and best wishes to all, including myself, for success.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.