nopCommerce 4.10 BETA released. Please share your impressions

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
5 years ago
a.m. wrote:
4.1 breaks almost every single plugin I have. All the ones I bought that I do not have source code for are causing major issues...
Actually the same can be told about ANY version of nopCommerce. Each plugin should be upgraded and recompiled for each new version

I understand each new version can cause issues, however shouldn't a build of this scale be a major version release, 5.0, instead of a minor to .1? You completely moved a models folder. You changed a core interface method from "GetPublicViewComponent(out string viewComponentName)" to "GetPublicViewComponentName()" that plugins rely upon. When you have such breaking changes that is a major release not a minor one.

4.1 should be backwards compatible with 4.x versions. It makes sense it does not work with 3.x, but it's rather discouraging to continue to buy plugins from people who do not sell the source code and what I've found many stop maintaining their projects as well. I'm new to your community and for the most part I am very happy with the current version, however if there are breaking changes in an "open-source" community this claims to be, I personally will not stick around very long and contribute or support plugin developers that DO NOT sell the source code.
5 years ago
breaker05 wrote:
4.1 breaks almost every single plugin I have. All the ones I bought that I do not have source code for are causing major issues...
Actually the same can be told about ANY version of nopCommerce. Each plugin should be upgraded and recompiled for each new version

I understand each new version can cause issues, however shouldn't a build of this scale be a major version release, 5.0, instead of a minor to .1? You completely moved a models folder. You changed a core interface method from "GetPublicViewComponent(out string viewComponentName)" to "GetPublicViewComponentName()" that plugins rely upon. When you have such breaking changes that is a major release not a minor one.

4.1 should be backwards compatible with 4.x versions. It makes sense it does not work with 3.x, but it's rather discouraging to continue to buy plugins from people who do not sell the source code and what I've found many stop maintaining their projects as well. I'm new to your community and for the most part I am very happy with the current version, however if there are breaking changes in an "open-source" community this claims to be, I personally will not stick around very long and contribute or support plugin developers that DO NOT sell the source code.

Hi,

I understand your concern but this is the way nopCommerce has maintained to grow since many years. There were big changes from 3.70 to 3.80 and 3.40 to 3.60

What I have learned being working on nopCommerce so far is I love the way they have grown up and I would like to support them in future too.

But I support what you said about plugins and source code. There are many vendors that come and go every year and this is something to worry about.

Thank you,
Atul Rungta
5 years ago
nopAdvance wrote:
4.1 breaks almost every single plugin ....  
When you have such breaking changes that is a major release not a minor one...

... I personally will not stick around very long and contribute or support plugin developers that DO NOT sell the source code...

Hi,

I understand your concern but this is the way nopCommerce has maintained to grow since many years. There were big changes from 3.70 to 3.80 and 3.40 to 3.60

What I have learned being working on nopCommerce so far is I love the way they have grown up and I would like to support them in future too.

But I support what you said about plugins and source code. There are many vendors that come and go every year and this is something to worry about.

Thank you,
Atul Rungta

1)I agree with both of you. I also understand that plugins suppliers are reluctant to sell the source code if they want to get more income from upgrades. Furthermore the source code is like the "patent" for the plugin and you don't want to disclose it for knowledge protection, or to prevent others to use some good ideas embedded in the code and finally to limit the use of the code for just one or a limited number of websites and or time.

2) As with suppliers of other products and services,  you are taking a risk that the supplier in the future will provide adequate customer service and product maintenance. In our case, because we buy several plugins and themes, we do some research about the supplier: time in the market and in the Nop site, number and quality of plugins developed, rating and comments given to their plugins,  ranking as Nop solution partner, their website, etc.

3) It can well happen, as in any other company that goes into bankruptcy, that the supplier decides to abandon their project.

4) My suggestion is: for the protection of the plugins purchasers and even supplier is that it will be a good practice if the Nop Team keeps in custody a copy of the source code of every plugin sold in the marketplace to make it available to the corresponding purchasers if the supplier stops updating the product.
5 years ago
a.m. wrote:
In the release notes it says:
● Removed PayPal Direct plugin from the solution
● Removed FedEx plugin from the solution

Does that mean that the Nop team will no longer support those plugins?
Hi Eduardo,

1. This PayPal API doesn't work anymore (for newly registered merchants). So we won't support it
2. We'll publish and support FedEx on our marketplace

Re 2. above, when will FedEx be published to the Marketplace? We won't be able to upgrade to 4.10 until it is available.

Thanks!
5 years ago
nopfish wrote:
when will FedEx be published to the Marketplace? We won't be able to upgrade to 4.10 until it is available

We plan to upgrade all plugins within the next couple of weeks
5 years ago
Congratulations Team!

We have recently developed a website on your latest version 4.10

It has been observed that the processing is fast with the latest version.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.