Can't sort product by position

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
i have added some products and noticed that the sort by position does not work.
the display order in the product variant  makes no effects of the sort order  
i have tried with my Products and also played with the nop Demo, it does sort by name but it does not sort by position.

according to the sp NOP_prodauctLoadAllPaged there is no reference to the product variants DisplyOrder.

i have changed the spNOP_prodauctLoadAllPaged  CASE section and added ORDER BY pv.DisplayOrder

if there is another way to sort by the variant display order, please let me know.

thanks again for this amazing product.
13 years ago
hezyz wrote:
i have added some products and noticed that the sort by position does not work.
i have tried with my Products and also played with the nop Demo, it does sort by name but it does not sort by position.

according to the sp NOP_prodauctLoadAllPaged there is no reference to the product variants DisplyOrder.

i have changed the spNOP_prodauctLoadAllPaged  CASE section and added ORDER BY pv.DisplayOrder

if there is another way to sort by the variant display order, please let me know.

thanks again for this amazing product.

Make sure that you enable the Allow product sorting: option in admin>configuration>global settings>products tab
13 years ago
Hmm...I seem to be having the same issue, but it is likely that I don't understand the meanings of the settings; perhaps it is working as designed.

Here's what I want to do:
1) User does a "Manufacturer" listing so all products by that manufacturer are displayed in paged results.
2) When the page listing of results are generated, I would like them sorted first by display order, then by name.

Here's what I've tried:
1) I went into one product variant ("PV1") under a product made by Manufacturer A, and set its display order to 100. I verified that all other product variants under products made by Manufacturer A have display order set to the default of 1.
2) I ensured that under global settings, the "Allow Product Sorting" is set to true.
3) I view the product results for Manufacturer A. I would expect PV1 to appear last (or maybe first if the ordering was reversed). It does not. It stays right in the same position it was before, right in the middle.

One thing I want to ask to make sure I'm not making the wrong assumptions. In my catalog, pretty much every product only has one variant (maybe a couple have more than one). So if I set the display order, such that the ones that I want to appear earliest in the "Sort by Position" list equal to "1", and all other ones to "2", shouldn't that have the desired effect?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!!!
13 years ago
cisfc wrote:
Hmm...I seem to be having the same issue, but it is likely that I don't understand the meanings of the settings; perhaps it is working as designed.

Here's what I want to do:
1) User does a "Manufacturer" listing so all products by that manufacturer are displayed in paged results.
2) When the page listing of results are generated, I would like them sorted first by display order, then by name.

Here's what I've tried:
1) I went into one product variant ("PV1") under a product made by Manufacturer A, and set its display order to 100. I verified that all other product variants under products made by Manufacturer A have display order set to the default of 1.
2) I ensured that under global settings, the "Allow Product Sorting" is set to true.
3) I view the product results for Manufacturer A. I would expect PV1 to appear last (or maybe first if the ordering was reversed). It does not. It stays right in the same position it was before, right in the middle.

One thing I want to ask to make sure I'm not making the wrong assumptions. In my catalog, pretty much every product only has one variant (maybe a couple have more than one). So if I set the display order, such that the ones that I want to appear earliest in the "Sort by Position" list equal to "1", and all other ones to "2", shouldn't that have the desired effect?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!!!

Are you assigning the display order within the manufactures mapping?

It is a bit confusing because there are several display orders (variant, manufacturer, category) one for each category/manufacturer so you can have a product listed in a category/manufactured in first place (if it has display order 1 and the rest of the products display order 100) and then in another category/manufacurer in 3rd place if there are 2 other products within same category/manufacturer with display orders 1 and 2.
13 years ago
Hi Eduardo,

In this case, I am setting the "Display Order" field under product variants.

The scenario I want to solve is that when a user clicks the link in the Manufacturers navigation to View all products by "Manufacturer A", I want to order the results as follows:

Order all product variants that come back in the results, by the value stored in the "Display Order" field which is modifiable from the Product -> Product Variant admin screen, then order by Alphabetical name (since many product variants will have the same Display Order value stored.

Can you confirm if this is how one should be using the "Display Order" field under Product Variants? Or is that field only meant to control the display order of multiple variants under a single product? And if so, I haven't been able to locate a similar display order field that controls the display orders of products (meaning product as a collection of one or more variants).

In any case, is there an out of the box way to achieve the scenario mentioned? Or perhaps a way to hack/workaround it?

Finally, can anyone explain what the "Position" designation means in the "Sort by" menu? I really can't make heads or tails of that.

Thanks!!!
13 years ago
cisfc wrote:

Can you confirm if this is how one should be using the "Display Order" field under Product Variants? Or is that field only meant to control the display order of multiple variants under a single product? And if so, I haven't been able to locate a similar display order field that controls the display orders of products (meaning product as a collection of one or more variants).

Yes, that field is only used for orderin several variants within the same product. Check example of Canon camera in demo store which has 2 variants: http://admin-demo.nopcommerce.com/administration/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=85

Try assigning display order at manufacurer mapping
13 years ago
duplicated
13 years ago
Ohhhhhh! Wow, I didn't even realize there was a "Products" tab under Manufacturers to set Display Order.

Problem solved! Thanks Eduardo!

One more question...can anyone better explain exactly what "Sort by Position" means? I've checked the forums, and seen references, but I still don't have a crystal clear idea in my mind what makes something be in a certain "position".

Thanks again,
13 years ago
cisfc wrote:
Ohhhhhh! Wow, I didn't even realize there was a "Products" tab under Manufacturers to set Display Order.

Problem solved! Thanks Eduardo!

One more question...can anyone better explain exactly what "Sort by Position" means? I've checked the forums, and seen references, but I still don't have a crystal clear idea in my mind what makes something be in a certain "position".

Thanks again,

It means sort by display order.
Check: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/5336/sorting-using-drop-down-box-always-displays-sort-by-price.aspx
And example in demo store:http://demo.nopcommerce.com/category/47-accessories.aspx?orderby=0
13 years ago
Awesome, thanks once again Eduardo!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.