Anybody using WinHost?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
I'm just wondering if anyone here is using WinHost basic with nopCommerce? I am using it and its terribly slow, wondering if its because I am using WinHost Basic rather than WinHost Max.

Thanks for any responses.
11 years ago
danbeaulieu wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone here is using WinHost basic with nopCommerce? I am using it and its terribly slow, wondering if its because I am using WinHost Basic rather than WinHost Max.

While you wait for everyone else to reply, here are some comments about Winhost that I have found on the forum.  I don't know if all these people were using the basic plan but from some of their comments I would guess that most of them were.  From reading, it looks like the basic plan might be too small.  One person listed below was on their max plan and they felt it was too slow.

progresivo wrote:
1) Which is your hosting company ?

Winhost: www.winhost.com

2) Have you ever faced any issues with your hosting server ?

Yes, with Nop 1.9 there was a time when the store froze up because the SP that loads all the products has a big threshold against the database, Winhost has a 2500 threshold limit so I had a store down for 1 whole day while trying to figure out how to change the code in the SP since obviously Winhost won't change a shared DB server parameter for everybody just because of my problem.

3) How much you pay to your hosting company ?

USD 4.95 per month (three months in advance)

4) Is your hosting company the cheapest one out of all the recommended hosting servers for nopcommerce ?

I believe so, I haven't researched too much but that price I believe is the cheapest for a full Windows server based hosting I've ever used, and they have plenty if services included.

5) How is the speed of your website on your server ? Is is ok ? or Very Good ? or Slow ?

Is Ok

6) Does your hosting company offer full trust ? If yes then please tell me you had to specially ask hosting company to give full trust or they offer full trust by default ?

Yes it does, just change the web.config and that's it.

7) Does your hosting company support 4.0 framework ?

Yes it does.

Source: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/5376/best-hosting-server-for-nopcommerce-please-share-your-experience.aspx?p=3

ROgue9 wrote:
I installed nopCommerce on my winhost.com site that I bought, and while I like nopCommerce, I've run into a problem that I don't quite get.  After I log in as the administrator, when I try to administer the site through the dashboard it kicks me back out to the login screen...

Source:https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/20598/help-with-winhostcom.aspx

RodneyMarion wrote:
I just had to request a refund from WinHost. I'm waiting to see what they say.

I don't even understand why they support nopCommerce if there basic plan is insufficient to run it and their max plan wouldn't support any type of load at all.

Source: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/18838/hosting-recommendations.aspx

sandrac72 wrote:
I have just installed nopcommerce on winhost using their app installer 2.6 version (which I must say was not straight forward, had all sorts of problems connecting to the db) Anyway I would like to upgrade to 2.65 and was just wondering if anyone had some step by step instructions on how to do this. I am a little apprehensive of just diving in myself as it took me ages to get 2.6 up and running.

Source: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/19637/nopcommerce-upgrade-instuctions-26-to-265-winhost.aspx

albertofilho wrote:
Howdy!

My website (nop 2.5) is hosted on WinHost. I sent an email to them asking about my performance issue on their servers and I got the following message:

******************** BEGIN *********************
Alberto

The latency you experienced are two folds.

NopCommerce application is known to consumes lots of server resources that could triggers application pool recycle event.

We host each website in its unique application pool/process. To ensure server stability we recycle the application if any of the following conditions are met:

1) More than 20 minutes of idle time (no HTTP request in 20 minutes)
2) The application uses more than 100 MB of memory for the Basic plan and 200 MB of memory for the Max and Ultimate plan.
3) The application uses more than 70% of CPU resources for more than 5 minutes

Checking the servers event log, I did find evidence that your application pool was getting recycled due to the 100 MB memory threshold.

What this means is that when ever your application pool is recycled, there is some delay when a browser calls on it again.  When it is called, all the objects/data/code must be loaded back unto the process which can cause the delay.  Once everything is loaded, your site works much more smoothly until the application pool is recycled once more thus causing it to reload back into the process.

Using a 3rd party web analyzing tool, it also shows that a great deal of objects is being called when you perform the first initial load.  This will make it seem that your website is displaying slowly.  Here is the link and results of this 3rd party web analyzing test....

Source: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/17684/slow-performance-analyzes.aspx
11 years ago
2) The application uses more than 100 MB of memory for the Basic plan and 200 MB of memory for the Max and Ultimate plan.

This may be a problem, I share a virtual server with a friend, he is currently testing V3.0 on his home server setup and has reported the following

Nop 3.0 fresh install, default products.

initial running of nop with two stores runs at 600~700 mb
calms down after initial loading to 500mb, 250mb approximately each store.

If WinHost have a limit of 100mb & 200mb I see trouble there.

Will get friend to add to post as he is more of a server guru than me

Steve
11 years ago
Tim & Mr Shrek,

Thank you guys for clearing this up, it's ridiculous they actually have a 2.8 installer if their servers cant handle it. I am going to have to request a refund.

Dan
11 years ago
Hi

I am MrShreks friend and can confirm what he has said, we set up a VPS server for 2 reasons,

1. Our shared host at the time did not allow us to run nopCommerce due to security issuse because they were running Sever2003 and IIS6
2. MrShrek had a hosting account with a well known host who advertize nopCommecre friendly, but like you was finding the load time on first access to the home page was typically 15 to 20 seconds, and then 2 to 3 seconds for navigation to other pages.

I had come accross this sort of problem with Asp.net some years ago with  pile em high sell em cheap hosters and was aware of what the problem was, and to that end I wrote a little utility to constantly navigate round the site to try and keep the site hot, and in ram.

So I set up a VPS server so I could have full control over the hosting, and I have tweaked IIS and I have set it up so that IIS will recycle by default every 24 hours, or if ram hits 225 Mbs for nopCommerce v2.80, so for the number of products MrShrek and I run on our stores it is normally recycled every 24 hours.

With the above IIS settings typical load times on our sites is less than 1 second, even form cold, because of course the site is waiting in ram, we run 4 nopCommece web sites and about 5 or 6 other sites a mix of mojo portal and plain html sites

However this is not a $4.99 a month option, we share the cost of the VPS which costs us around $48.00 a month, for this we get a VPS with 2gb of ram, and the ram is a tight fit, if we dumped all the other sites we could probally just about run 6 nopCommerce sites v2.80.

The reason 2gb of ram is tight, is because we run the whole hosting server on the 1 Vps server which comprises

Server 2008 / Server 2008 DNS  (Included in the cost of the VPS)  
Sql Server Express (Free)
Email Sever (Free)
Hosting Control Panel (Free)

We have been discussing how we are going to accommadate v3.00 with it's increased memory requirements, looks like we will need more ram :o( or we could end up with slow load times again.
11 years ago
thank you spire. I am cancelling my winhost today and demoing  databasemart.com as we speak. So far, their pre-sales support is awesome.
11 years ago
danbeaulieu wrote:
thank you spire. I am cancelling my winhost today and demoing  databasemart.com as we speak. So far, their pre-sales support is awesome.

Okay, I have switched to databasemart.com base or "shared" plan. The site now takes between 3 & 4 seconds to load. much better. Will post a review here after a few weeks.

Thanks everybody,
Dan
11 years ago
danbeaulieu wrote:

I'm using WinHost Basic for the moment, paid for 3 months, so the client can see it online as I develop it. The plan is to go to WinHost Max for volume and final testing then go live there (or change to another provider smartish !).

WinHost do say 'Max or Ultimate recommended' so fair enough that it's a bit sluggish, though it's only me using it with almost nothing in the database so a mite concerning that it's not a bit snappier - having said that, my local development system isn't exactly snappy either, I'm developing in a Parallels Desktop on an I7, 8GB macbook pro - I'd be interested to see how it runs from a proper development PC off a proper local server.

My problem is I live on a tropical island which is great in just about every respect except for connectivity, which is lousy, so hard to tell from here where the sluggishness lies though as I say, even with a totally local setup I'm a little disappointed at the speed (is Teleric the culprit perhaps ?).
11 years ago
I would've upgraded upwards with winhost however there were a few posts saying that the winhost ultimate couldnt even run nopCommerce. So I went to databsemart.com. Super happy, runs nice and fast for only $3.00 more per month, what I am most happy about is their support. Live chat-room with a tech, awesome.
11 years ago
Hi

Well I run a development server in a spare bedroom, the hosting set up is Windows Home Server 2011, and sql server express on another Home Server 2011, both servers are on 1 box (Hardware) and run as Virtual machines.

What I have found that provided nopCommerce is not recyled by IIS it is fine, first page load in under 1 sec, but the minute nopCommerce is recycled by IIS I am an into anywhere between 10 and 20 sec first page load even on my lan network which is all at 1gb speed, in addtion my development severs are sat twiddling there thumbs 99% of the time as there is only me developing on it.

In conclusion from my experience u need to fine a hoster that does not keep recycling your noCommerce website and allows it to reside in ram so that the first page hit is pretty snappy.

As I said above if the hoster just recycles it after say 20 mins if the site has not been used, and the hoster does not have a memory limit like WinHost then u could perhaps keep the site hot by ajusting the keep alive setting in nopCommece.

Spire
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.