New responsive design for upcoming version 3.30. BETA testers needed!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Also agree. Done. Please get the latest version

Just checked it out, and it looks really good!  One thing... I wonder, is there is a way to get it so that it doesn't drop down to two layers thick before the responsive menu kicks in.  I am not sure if there is any easy way to change that or not but it might be worth looking into.
10 years ago
Tim2376 wrote:
I wonder, is there is a way to get it so that it doesn't drop down to two layers thick before the responsive menu kicks in

Hi Tim,

Please clarify. Maybe, a screenshot?
10 years ago
I thing the header is to big, at the moment in a mobile view the header is taking about 45% of the screen.

My suggestions:
make a smaller logo  
the headers links, become icons and inline with the logo in one line
the same for search box, in any case mobiles will zoom in to the text box

the header should take no more than 20% of the screen
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:

Hi Tim,

Please clarify. Maybe, a screenshot?

Hi Andrei,

Here is a screen clipping showing 4 different views depending on the width of the browser.  The views labeled 2 and 3 are the ones I am talking about.  As you can see in the image the menu drops down to be 2 or 3 layers thick.  

I am not sure if there is any perfect solution for this or not... is there a way to only show menu items until the width is taken?  For example if the width could only show 5 items it would just not show anymore.  Or, maybe display the responsive menu sooner?  

I have seen on another site there they had on the right a "..." item that was a drop down for all the items that got kicked off when the screen was smaller then the menu before the responsive menu kicked in.
10 years ago
Hi Andrei

You need to use a media query for your logo !!, and create a smaller size for each size break.

@media (max-width: 767px)
     {
         .header-logo img
         {
              width:50%;
         }
     }

@media (min-width: 768px) and (max-width: 991px)
     {
         .header-logo img
         {
             width:70%;
         }        
     }

@media (min-width: 992px) and (max-width: 1199px)
     {
         .header-logo img
         {
              width:85%;
         }        
     }

@media (min-width: 1200px)
     {
          .header-logo img
          {
               width:100%;
          }        
     }
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:

One off-topic question. What do you think about moving to Bootstrap? The main doubt here is existing store owners. Today there are about 15K live stores powered by nopCommerce. A lot of them are highly customized. And moving to Bootstrap can seriously affect them (it could be really hard or time-consuming for their developers). On the other side it can boost creation of a lot of new themes for nopCommerce (migration from other systems, etc). Of course, it'll also affect existing theme developers who have a lot of themes already developed

+1 for Bootstrap - IE8+ reliable, tried and tested compatibility.

Currently, I have mobile support switched off, because I can't justify maintaining two designs and do not wish to pay for tablet device detection, so cannot show the desktop version on tablets. I think it is the small sites which benefit most from a move to Bootstrap.

There is also a huge and rapidly growing set of developers familiar with Bootstrap over a diverse range of platforms ready to contribute and exchange ideas. Also, if we keep any Nop specific code separate from the Bootstrap base code we will achieve hassle free upgrades in the future to support new devices and web browsers.
10 years ago
+1 for Responsive horizontal category top menu... we should do it.

+1 for Responsive  support for RTL. If we just override required styles I don't think it will be too complex to maintain.

For slider we could use any responsive slider by default. I see you already did it. And it looks great.

+1 for Bootstrap.

I agree with your opinion on Bootstrap, its one of the most used UI framework and we used it in many projects. Its very easy to use and build theme around it. I would advice to moving to Bootstrap, because the value it will add to the nopCommerce is more. I agree people running existing customize theme will find it difficult in the beginning but once migration is done, it would be much easier for them to build. And for theme developers community, it will even make easier for them to build new themes.
10 years ago
I will defenetly go with bootstrap, it will be smart to go with a well manteined framework that is already at its third release, that to develop your custom responsive solution.
10 years ago
Hi Andrie

took your advice on override RTL file and made one with the head adjustment
http://www.kitesurf.co.il/rtl.rar

responsive rtl version
http://www.kitesurf.co.il/responsive.rtl.css

after learning bootstrap all weekend, I'm, as well, voting for bootstrap.
10 years ago
Ugh I finished doing it myself a few weeks ago.
I used jqarousel for product slider works great on mobile.

Very happy to test your responsive theme, if you need some help.

Thanks!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.