Theme Creation Tutorial

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
given that we now have a reasonable interest in the community and even an offer to write a well done and fleshed out tutorial, perhaps we should hope to have nopCommerce's update its priority for such a tutorial if after all it seems people will pay gladly for this? :)

In any case, I'd be happy to pay 20 bucks for a well done tutorial (not a 5 page thing... a well fleshed out tutorial). What do you, BUYERS!, want to see in such a tutorial?????

Please list your request!!!

Antoine
13 years ago
Ok,

Links to css tutorial

I would like to see a sample screenshot of the webshop and next to this a list of style sheet classes.
Per class, I want an arrow pointing at a position on the webshop page.

Give me 8 screenshots like this..

Links to other templates.

Tools to use.

A video in which a webshop is modified and the tools you use.
13 years ago
I will donate 20-30 bucks as well for a good tutorial, especially if it has walkthroughs.  A short video demonstrating it would be helpful, but not necessary.  

Also, are there any tools that can be used to create these themes/skins?  The issue is that the themes, as I can see and understand, do not get applied to custom controls and as you know nopCommerce is almost 100% based on custom controls.
13 years ago
I would dontate $20 for this cause.
13 years ago
I vote for a Paid tutorial. Willing to pay $20 bucks.
13 years ago
Im more than happy to help work on a tutorial for the community

of course making it as detailed as possible.
13 years ago
The tutorial will need to focus on two areas in particular

1. CSS / image creation tutorial

2. Custom Controls

I can work on both - would be great to have a few more developers help out on this project

as I think that if we can build a great tutorial and have more folks involved in creating themes then we can only increase the popularity of nopcommerce.
13 years ago
Tiger33--- sounds great!

What info you will need from a developers standpoint?  I took it upon myself to learn CSS in more details and I am getting a better picture.  The biggest holdup is how to display the changes in the Themes/Skins/CSS and have them reflected in the development environment.  I use VS2010 and I would like to see how these changes reflect in Design mode given most of the aspx pages are based on custom controls.

Can you also give us more information regarding what content/chapters/topics you are planning to include in this tutorial?  We developers can also probably pitch in for suggested ones.

Thanks again!
13 years ago
Hi there

its hard to say until i look into things in more detail.

NopCommerce is fantastic when you know what you are doing although I personally wish it was more bare bones - that way making templates would have been easier.

Either way its still possible to create a framework.

Design time would be very difficult unless you used the firefox tools (firebug, web developer toolbar) to do real time CSS editing.

When using vs 2010 i dont go into design view at all - i'm always in code view as i dont trust the view engine (yes its alot better than previous but still not fantastic so i dont use that to judge work).

Anyway...

The point is .. in order to get a theme creation tutorial we need to look at two things.

1 . You can create a theme very easily by taking one of the default themes and using css and images to develop a new theme. - Sadly this doesnt give as much control as some may want in regard to the overall look and feel.

2. At times its necessary to look at the actual controls themselves and the classes they are using and page positions.

For the ultimate in theme creation we need to actually create new user controls as well but of course also need to be careful about future updates to nopcommerce and how they effect the themes.

I'm going to start working on something tomorrow and get back to you all.

There is already a tutorial on theme creation from a pure css/images level which I think is still a great first step into theme creation but you would still be sandboxed into a particular framework unless changes were made to the actual code (i.e moving user controls across on aspx pages etc).
13 years ago
I think the best way to learn is to actually learn by example so i'm actually going to setup another nopcommerce store as a project to show how to skin ...
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.