Theme Creation Tutorial

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I'd be happy to contribute by doing newb/usability testing.
I have VS2010 and have an educational background in programming as well though I am not a programmer...
13 years ago
@Tiger33 did you get anywhere with the theming.  I think the only problem with copying a stock theme and reworking like you mentioned, is the potential conflict with newer versions of nopCommerce.
13 years ago
Hi there

I plan to start this on monday with a real project so it makes sense

I dont think newer versions of nopCommerce will hurt but of course those making themes need to be aware of how the upgrade process works with nop and I will mention it within the guide.
13 years ago
The problem with creating a tutorial is that every template design is different and so a tutorial might meet your expectations.  It would be easy to create a tutorial which shows you how to change minor things such as colours, widths, fonts etc but to change the actual structure then its probably a bit more involved.  Maybe if somone could provide an example template I could have a look an doing a screencast working through the different pages. Also one of the problems with heavy modification is that it pretty much rules out future upgrades unless you keep notes of your custom modifications.
13 years ago
ajhvdb wrote:
Why don't you reverse this.

Maybe someone with knowledge can say for which amount he/she will create a document/tutorial.

We will reply to this topic with the amount we will pay if it's finished and approved. When published we will pay with PayPal. When the tutorial amount is reached the above developer will start

This is a great Idea! There should be a special site here on nopcommerce.com where people can make donations to important features/tasks they are interested in, for example: tutorials, templates, extensions etc.

If a task is funded (the required amount has to be defined for each task) developers can apply for such a job. Every job has to be accomplished in a pre-defined time (1 month, 2 month etc).

Or the opposite would also be possible: A page where developers can define offers.

This would speed up the development process significantly and give the nop team more time to concentrate on the core development.
13 years ago
I bought nopcommerce documentation online yesterday, and i was disappointed to see that there is no topic on theme creation.I consider this documentation a total waste of money.
13 years ago
Puppy1977,

I totally agree with you.  The documentation should have been free.  So far it has proven little to no value.

Granted nopcommerce is free, but there are others out there just as good if not better.

What a waste of $20!!
13 years ago
I think later on, you will look back and see this first step of buying the documentation was the correct one.

The nop team is expanding and hopefully will add some moderators to help starters. The first steps in nop are difficult, I agree.

Why not add yourselve as a possible donator in this topic.
13 years ago
Typically when someone buys documentation the documentation covers what you need.  Nopcommerce comes with different themes but they are all similar except for the colors.

The more elaborate themes can be PURCHASED from other .com sites.  

It would have made more sense to SELL nopcommerce for a fee and provide documentation  for FREE that covered theme creation.  

Most of the nopcommerce sites look alike, and you can tell its nopcommerce.
13 years ago
Thats why I hope we get some new moderators.

They can create new forums like "submit your theme, best theme of month, best MOD of the month".. you get the picture..this way we create more interest.

nop at this moment is not really created by a group of people but development goes fast.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.