Truly disgusted with all the bugs in the shipping modules

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I am truly disgusted at the lack of attention the development team is giving at what seem to be ongoing bugs through at least the last three versions of nopCommerce in the shipping calculations for UPS, USPS etc.

There are several issues and it seems to me that something this important that could generate losses for the store and result in loss in customer confidence about the merchant would be of utmost importance to the nopCommerce team.

I am about to abandon my plans to use nopCommerce and switch to AspDotNetStoreFront. By the time I finish paying experienced C# developers to fix just the shipping issues (not to mention other high profile bugs) I could have paid a fortune that far exceeds the high cost of AspDotNetStoreFront with source code, a full year warranty, free upgrades and all the bells and whistles it currently has.

I love nopCommerce and would love to use it, but this shipping issues are a deal breaker for me if the dev. team doesn't move its priority to the highest level and release the fixes via CodePlex.

Andrei: Please reply as to the plans to resolve ALL shipping issues.

Thanks

Robert L.
12 years ago
All known bugs are tracked on codeplex. And all of them will be fixed in the next release (in case it's a real bug).

P.S. Please provide an URL to a forum topic describing a UPS/USPS bug that is not fixed through at least the last three versions
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:
I am truly disgusted at the lack of attention the development team is giving at what seem to be ongoing bugs through at least the last three versions of nopCommerce in the shipping calculations for UPS, USPS etc.

There are several issues and it seems to me that something this important that could generate losses for the store and result in loss in customer confidence about the merchant would be of utmost importance to the nopCommerce team.

I am about to abandon my plans to use nopCommerce and switch to AspDotNetStoreFront. By the time I finish paying experienced C# developers to fix just the shipping issues (not to mention other high profile bugs) I could have paid a fortune that far exceeds the high cost of AspDotNetStoreFront with source code, a full year warranty, free upgrades and all the bells and whistles it currently has.

I love nopCommerce and would love to use it, but this shipping issues are a deal breaker for me if the dev. team doesn't move its priority to the highest level and release the fixes via CodePlex.

Thanks

Robert L.

Hi Robert,

You are not alone on this one, i am aswell quite disgusted and peed off not so much with the shipping but with not having the abilty of having an add to cart button that i can place any where on the home page, 9 out of 10 sites i see have this feature, i am looking at osCommerce.
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:

Thanks

Robert L.

Ok the other cross post was deleted.

I second this
12 years ago
Thankless effort sometimes on the part of those who are dedicating their free time to providing a great product and some people won't even buy a $19.95 manual. Nothing in life is truly free. There are tradeoffs. I am sticking with Nop. It's not perfect but then again even MS makes its own bugs. I am looking forward to the new release.
12 years ago
I too will stick with Nop and support them fully.  It is a huge task to fix bugs, implement new features, etc especially when there are so many people out there whining about their own personal hopes and features for the software.  How about all the people whining at leats buy a manual as suggested or start donating to the project.  After all, the software is designed to make YOU money.

As for people finding bugs, there is documentation outlining the procedure to report bugs.  They are given a priority and fixed according to their priority and impact.  New features I'm sure are rated accordingly and whilst a buy now button may not be available to be placed anywhere on the home page, is it really such a big deal?

Paul
12 years ago
For your information, I have implemented every release since 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9. I have also bought the manual for all mentioned releases, had them printed in three holed punched paper and place in binders.

Perhaps I came across a bit harsh on my feelings at the time....I should have cooled off before I shot from the hip with my criticism. But it seems that something as important as shipping error calculations (rumored to exist in all shipping modules) should have been addressed immediatly by the dev team instead of us having to wait until the next release....which leads to my next question:

The work being finished in the CodePlex page...Do they apply to the current release? (1.9) or are they destined to be part of 2.0?

It seems CodePlex is an excellent vehicle to release bug fixes.

For eveyone's information, I also plan to stick to nopCommerce for now. I don't plan to just jump on 2.0, being based on MVC I may have to hire programmers to fix the initial bugs it will undoubtely have. There are very few experienced programmers who are well versed on MVC, therefore it will be more expensive to get things done.

It would be a great favor to the nopCommerce community if before releasing 2.0, all the bugs in 1.9 were cleaned up, thereby giving us a clean as possible application while we prepare to make the transition to 2.0.

I kindly extend my sincerest apologies to the nopCommerce community if I offended anyone. But I do beg PLEASE fix the shipping calculation methods in all modules and release a patch at your earliest convenience.

I hope this puts an end to this unpleasant thread of discussion.

Thank you veru much...

Robert L.
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:
All known bugs are tracked on codeplex. And all of them will be fixed in the next release (in case it's a real bug).

P.S. Please provide an URL to a forum topic describing a UPS/USPS bug that is not fixed through at least the last three versions

Andrei:

My source for those allegations came from a post by abcd_12345 here:

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/9414/bugs-in-shipping-rate-calculation-important.aspx

However, complaints of all sorts regarding shipping can be found everywhere in the forums.

I beg you please release a patch for all these issues before V2.0 is released (with issues of its own, no doubt).

That way all of us currently using 1.9 can be left with as clean an application as possible.

Heck! I am willing to make a substantial donation to this effort if it will solve all shipping issues with all major carriers (UPS, FedEx, USPS) once and for all.
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:
I beg you please release a patch for all these issues before V2.0 is released (with issues of its own, no doubt).

As you know there were only major versions for 1.xx (1.50, 1.60, 1.70, etc). Average release cycle was quite long. To be honest we do not plan to support and maintain 1.xx versions. After 2.00 is released, we'll be releasing new versions much more often. All further bugs and issues will be fixed very fast.
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:

My source for those allegations came from a post by abcd_12345 here:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/9414/bugs-in-shipping-rate-calculation-important.aspx

Hello Robert,

I was reading all your posts so couldn't stop myself from posting here.

I hope you understand this - Every application comes with good points and bad points (bad point means bugs). It is IMPOSSIBLE to create / have a 100% PERFECT BUG FREE application (or anything) in this present world.

Bugs are a consequence of the nature of human factors in the programming task.

For example: In creating a relatively simple program to sort a list of words into alphabetical order - when typing the resulting program into the computer, one might accidentally type a '<' where a '>' was intended, perhaps resulting in the words being sorted into reverse alphabetical order (which results to a BUG in the program).

So, when it comes to development of a big project - there is more possibility of bugs.

You mentioned that "You are truly disgusted at the lack of attention the development team is giving at what seem to be ongoing bugs".

If this is true then development work for nopCommerce project would have been stopped long time ago. NopCommerce community is one of the best and an ACTIVE open source project community.

Here we all try to help each other and provide help to as many nop users by solving their problems and providing solutions.

Do you have any idea, how big the nopCommerce project is (from development prospective) ? Nop developers are dedicating their time on the development (and updates) of this project which itself is a big deal.  It is not feasible or possible to provide bug fixes for each and every solution before the next official release.

There are 1000s of online stores which are based on nopCommerce. Store owners are earning money from it BUT at the other side nop Developers are getting what ? All they need is appreciation that motivates them to work more and more in future. In addition to that, nopcommerce is planned to be available for FREE in future also as an open-source project.

Nop developers are developing the MVC version from scratch and it requires a LOT of time and effort.

Being a nop user it's a good practice to test the application and report the bug on the forum so that nop developers can review it and fix it in future versions. This is exactly what I did in the post you pointed out.

But it is NOT a good idea to force the nop developers to fix the bug and speak bad things about the project if you don't find any solution for it - Something which you did in the above posts.

If you built a house by working on it for days and weeks - At the end of the day, if somebody says "it looks BAD" - How would you feel ?

Now just think from nop developers side - They have spent MONTHS in developing this project and updating it since LAST 2-3 YEARS (since 2008).

If someone reports a bug - it means somebody is trying to tell the development team to review it and fix it in future versions.

I would like to conclude this post by saying - Hopefully this shipping bug will be fixed in future versions (along with other bugs) because ultimately the goal of the nop developers is to make a SOLID project.

I am little busy these days but if I get chance then I will certainly try to fix the shipping bugs and will post the solution on the forum.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.