Truly disgusted with all the bugs in the shipping modules

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:
That's wrong. The ratio of primary measure unit should always equal to 1.0000. Dividing by 1 has no effect. If you change your primary measure unit (for example, from default lb(s) to meters), then you need to update all ratios (according to meters in our case). It seems that you changed your primary store measure unit and did not update the ratios of other measure units.

Andrei,

Thinking your statement through it does makes sense.  However, if we provide a gui to change primary unit of measurement I would think that we would want to automatically update ratios for the user and minimize the amount of direct data manipulation (stay out of the database) as much as possible.  Would it be possible to add this to the 2.0 SCR list?

As for my hack, I do not wish to make life more difficult for anyone.  In my tests it accurately translated all the measurements from store selection to target select (for instance store selection of feet and the shipping module default of inches) but as you point out, it isn't the best way to address the problem.  Would it be possible to pull my posts on the subject and posts ratios for each of the units of measurement?
12 years ago
sod_admin wrote:
Would it be possible to add this to the 2.0 SCR list?

No. Updating ratios don't take much time. All you need to do is to update existing four values.

sod_admin wrote:
Would it be possible to pull my posts on the subject and posts ratios for each of the units of measurement?

Ratios for each unit are always fixed. There're a lot of online calculators and ratio tables online. Here is a good one - http://www.infoplease.com/pages/unitconversion.html
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Would it be possible to add this to the 2.0 SCR list?
No. Updating ratios don't take much time. All you need to do is to update existing four values.

Would it be possible to pull my posts on the subject and posts ratios for each of the units of measurement?
Ratios for each unit are always fixed. There're a lot of online calculators and ratio tables online. Here is a good one - http://www.infoplease.com/pages/unitconversion.html

Andrei,

I do software implementation and support for a living.  As a result my normal lot in life is balancing between customer desires (want everything) and developer work load (1 line of functional code and 1,000 lines of error handling).  It is from that perspective I color my response.  

Manually updating the ratios isn't the concern.  It is the knowledge (lack there of) that it must be done.  Specifically, the nopCommerce product provides the capability of changing the default unit of measurement BUT if the user does so there isn't anything that tells them that he/she must manually update the ratios or it will have nasty effects in other parts of the application (such as shipping).  On page 217 of the nopCommerce 1.90 user guide it does talk about adding dimensions/measurements but doesn't define the need to update the ratios if primary unit of measure is changed.  If we can't auto update then how about a displaying a warning pop up that is fired when primary unit of measure is changed?

You all are the ones in the trenches doing a great job developing a much needed product while receiving little as far as reward and/or recognition.  I mean no disrespect as I do sincerely appreciate your efforts.  It is just that in this particular case I believe we have a gap in the product that provides just enough rope for a user to get in trouble with.

Thanks for your consideration and efforts.
12 years ago
sod_admin wrote:
BUT if the user does so there isn't anything that tells them that he/she must manually update the ratios or it will have nasty effects in other parts of the application (such as shipping).

Thanks for suggestion. The upcoming version already has a notable warning that changing a primary measure/dimension requires updating of the ratios.

sod_admin wrote:
On page 217 of the nopCommerce 1.90 user guide it does talk about adding dimensions/measurements but doesn't define the need to update the ratios if primary unit of measure is changed.

It tells. At the end the page it has the following statement: "In the Ratio to primary weight field, enter the ratio against the primary weight". I think this statement sould also be more notable
12 years ago
I thought shipping calculations was an old problem that was solved long ago. My store that is 6 years old has a good shipping module that calculates shipping from multible suppliers/warehouses by utilizing the zip code.

That is in storefront 6.0 that has many problems, but not a shipping problem. It is about the only thing that works right.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.