Truly disgusted with all the bugs in the shipping modules

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:
All known bugs are tracked on codeplex. And all of them will be fixed in the next release (in case it's a real bug).

P.S. Please provide an URL to a forum topic describing a UPS/USPS bug that is not fixed through at least the last three versions

Andrei:

My source for those allegations came from a post by abcd_12345 here:

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/9414/bugs-in-shipping-rate-calculation-important.aspx

However, complaints of all sorts regarding shipping can be found everywhere in the forums.

I beg you please release a patch for all these issues before V2.0 is released (with issues of its own, no doubt).

That way all of us currently using 1.9 can be left with as clean an application as possible.

Heck! I am willing to make a substantial donation to this effort if it will solve all shipping issues with all major carriers (UPS, FedEx, USPS) once and for all.

I really need the fix for the fedex shipping, This is very important. I love nopcommerce but that shipping has to be fixed. I dont mind donating or paying someone for a fedex shipping fix. Anyone please, Contact me or PM. I am willing to pay for this fix. I cant wait for 2.0.
12 years ago
abcd_12345 wrote:

My source for those allegations came from a post by abcd_12345 here:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/9414/bugs-in-shipping-rate-calculation-important.aspx

Hello Robert,

I was reading all your posts so couldn't stop myself from posting here.

I hope you understand this - Every application comes with good points and bad points (bad point means bugs). It is IMPOSSIBLE to create / have a 100% PERFECT BUG FREE application (or anything) in this present world.

Bugs are a consequence of the nature of human factors in the programming task.

For example: In creating a relatively simple program to sort a list of words into alphabetical order - when typing the resulting program into the computer, one might accidentally type a '<' where a '>' was intended, perhaps resulting in the words being sorted into reverse alphabetical order (which results to a BUG in the program).

So, when it comes to development of a big project - there is more possibility of bugs.

You mentioned that "You are truly disgusted at the lack of attention the development team is giving at what seem to be ongoing bugs".

If this is true then development work for nopCommerce project would have been stopped long time ago. NopCommerce community is one of the best and an ACTIVE open source project community.

Here we all try to help each other and provide help to as many nop users by solving their problems and providing solutions.

Do you have any idea, how big the nopCommerce project is (from development prospective) ? Nop developers are dedicating their time on the development (and updates) of this project which itself is a big deal.  It is not feasible or possible to provide bug fixes for each and every solution before the next official release.

There are 1000s of online stores which are based on nopCommerce. Store owners are earning money from it BUT at the other side nop Developers are getting what ? All they need is appreciation that motivates them to work more and more in future. In addition to that, nopcommerce is planned to be available for FREE in future also as an open-source project.

Nop developers are developing the MVC version from scratch and it requires a LOT of time and effort.

Being a nop user it's a good practice to test the application and report the bug on the forum so that nop developers can review it and fix it in future versions. This is exactly what I did in the post you pointed out.

But it is NOT a good idea to force the nop developers to fix the bug and speak bad things about the project if you don't find any solution for it - Something which you did in the above posts.

If you built a house by working on it for days and weeks - At the end of the day, if somebody says "it looks BAD" - How would you feel ?

Now just think from nop developers side - They have spent MONTHS in developing this project and updating it since LAST 2-3 YEARS (since 2008).

If someone reports a bug - it means somebody is trying to tell the development team to review it and fix it in future versions.

I would like to conclude this post by saying - Hopefully this shipping bug will be fixed in future versions (along with other bugs) because ultimately the goal of the nop developers is to make a SOLID project.

I am little busy these days but if I get chance then I will certainly try to fix the shipping bugs and will post the solution on the forum.

abcd_12345:

If you've been reading my posts as you state, then no doubt your read my apologies to the nopCommerce community and my plans to continue to support nopCommerce.

Having said that...Let's put this thread of back and forth personal retributions to bed once and for all.

We are all very concerned with the shipping issues though. I am very worried about them as I prepare to start loading products into my store for the first time.
12 years ago
dejobo wrote:

I really need the fix for the fedex shipping, This is very important. I love nopcommerce but that shipping has to be fixed. I dont mind donating or paying someone for a fedex shipping fix. Anyone please, Contact me or PM. I am willing to pay for this fix. I cant wait for 2.0.

dejobo:

I agree with you, my need is urgent, I cannot wait for 2.0 and I am willing to pay the nopCommerce team for a fix to all the issues that have been mentioned in a lot of posts. At least for the three major carriers (UPS, FedEx and USPS).

I am not willing to hire outsiders since in my opinion the nop team well deserves to be rewarded for their hard labor (plus, they know the application like nobody else.

Somebody...please help out. quote me a price and let's "git 'er done" as Larry the Cable Guy would say.

dejobo: Are you willing to join me in the financial support needed?

Andrei: What do you say?

P.S. In the history of nopCommerce I don't think any topic has had such an impact on store owners who feel the urgency. For my part it impacts me as I will be shipping in boxes of various sizes and weights.
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:

nopCommerce team for a fix to all the issues that have been mentioned in a lot of posts. At least for the three major carriers (UPS, FedEx and USPS).

I still second Robert's point.

I have recommended nopcommerce to many people in variety of forums since it was released.

But now only i fully implemented in a store (nopcom1.9)

shipping issue is not only a bug, but it is one of the important process in any shopping cart.

If i hear the same issue is there since 1.6, then i think the team neglected the issue.

Now i am using only order by total, Canada Post is working for order quantity, but suffers in dimensions issues.

Hmm.. let us see how v 2 works.
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:

dejobo:

I agree with you, my need is urgent, I cannot wait for 2.0 and I am willing to pay the nopCommerce team for a fix to all the issues that have been mentioned in a lot of posts. At least for the three major carriers (UPS, FedEx and USPS).

I am not willing to hire outsiders since in my opinion the nop team well deserves to be rewarded for their hard labor (plus, they know the application like nobody else.

Somebody...please help out. quote me a price and let's "git 'er done" as Larry the Cable Guy would say.

dejobo: Are you willing to join me in the financial support needed?

Andrei: What do you say?

P.S. In the history of nopCommerce I don't think any topic has had such an impact on store owners who feel the urgency. For my part it impacts me as I will be shipping in boxes of various sizes and weights.

I dont mind joining you and support you financially. That will be great, but now we just have to get who will fix this for us. And this have to be urgent. So where do we start?
12 years ago
dejobo wrote:

I dont mind joining you and support you financially. That will be great, but now we just have to get who will fix this for us. And this have to be urgent. So where do we start?

Let's start by making a list of all the open bugs with shipping here in this post.
12 years ago
Ok... even though my "store" has technically been hosted since v7 I am just now cleared all the legal hurdles to operate legally in the US (my products are highly regulated by more than one federal agency). So I was about to open the store and I am glad I visited the forums to post a question because that is when I first read about this issue.

I researched a little more to make sure it was not an isolated incident and say a few posts dealing with various isuues dealing with shipping.

So what I will do is to search and document ALL I can find about shipping issues and either post here or upload the file to Rapidshare.

But...and this is one big "but" (pardon the pun) we have to get agreement from Andrei in order to proceed. If Andrei agrees to proceed, we need an estimate on cost.

Andrei: I you would be so kind and make an exception? would you please do the community at large a favor and agree to review the list I will document and provide an estimate?

Thank you very much...

Robert L
12 years ago
rober4t wrote:
If Andrei agrees to proceed, we need an estimate on cost.

Andrei: I you would be so kind and make an exception? would you please do the community at large a favor and agree to review the list I will document and provide an estimate?

Robert,

Please see my answer here. Shipping issues will be resolved in upcoming version 2.00. And there's no need to pay for it.
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:
If Andrei agrees to proceed, we need an estimate on cost.

Robert,

Please see my answer here. Shipping issues will be resolved in upcoming version 2.00. And there's no need to pay for it.

Andrei:

Thank you for being so kind to promptly respond and thanks to the team and the nop Community for the great effort they are all putting into 'our' project.

By now we are all aware of the issues and we will patiently and eagerly await the release of v2.0.

Hopefully this thread has brought to light the urgency of our needs and some type of priority will be given so they will be solved by the time v2.0 makes its debut.

Robert L.
12 years ago
All,

When my wife approached me to put together a website for her I did a bit of research and opted for nopCommerce.  Initial building of the site went fairly easily as I customized the layout to do the things she wanted.  That is until I got to shipping and payment modules.  There I've spent more time than I care to.  While I'm not a coder per se, I've worked with platforms enough to do basic diagnostics and corrections where necessary.  I fully understand that nopCommerce is a community product and with the platform shift coming in 2.0 the primary developers are heads down working to that end and, as stated in this post, any 1.x updates will be community based.  

While debugging shipping packages via USPS first class I found a small discrepancy in the Libraries\Nop.BusinesLogic\Measures\MeasureService.cs dimension/weight conversion logic that I believe is causing a lot of the grief being experienced by many in these forums.  Each shipping module (shipper) uses a standard measurement (inches, ounces, etc).  nopCommerce provides a ratio column in the Nop_MeasureDimension and Nop_MeasureWeight table just specifically for converting these measurements from your store default to that required by the shipping module.  To do the conversion you first divide the dimension (lets say length) by your default unit of measurement and then multiply that by the desired measurement ratio.  So if you set your store to use 'meters' as your default measurement and your shipper uses 'feet' then the module must convert that (x feet = y meters / .0254 * .0833).  The shipping modules call 'ConvertDimension' (and 'ConvertWeight') in MeasureService.cs to carry out this conversion.  And that is where I found the problem.  The first step in the conversion is to divide by the default measurement ratio.  That is suppose to be performed by 'ConvertToPrimaryMeasureDimension'.  The problem is that there is a simple error in the IF statement that keeps that division from occurring.  So what happens is the dimension (and weight) conversion only gets the multiplication portion of the equation (x feet = y meters * .0833).  The net is that as your quantities go up, so does the severity of the conversion error.  If you will make the following changes to your 'MeasureService.cs', recompile, and test I believe you will see better results from your shipping modules.          

Find:
            if (result != decimal.Zero && sourceMeasureDimension.MeasureDimensionId != BaseDimensionIn.MeasureDimensionId)

Replace with:
            if (result != decimal.Zero)

Find:
            if (result != decimal.Zero && sourceMeasureWeight.MeasureWeightId != BaseWeightIn.MeasureWeightId)

Replace with:
            if (result != decimal.Zero)

Please don't misunderstand my post.  I fully understand that there are significant issues in the shipping and payment modules that I sincerely hope will be addressed in version 2.0.  Until then, I hope this simple change will make life easier for folks.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.