nopCommerce 2.65 and 2.70 roadmap

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
keesjan wrote:
Performance is always important.

The database seems to be the biggest performance bottleneck esp. on limited hardware.

Maybe we can do something revolutionary and instead of sql server use RavenDB.

RavenDB is a transactional document database written in C#.
It's very very fast. It's easy to use, does not require a lot of server resources.
It's schema free so we can store products as is (no mapping needed, no extra tables
to define attributes) It feels like a perfect fit for nopCommerce

For more info: ravendb.net

Agreed. I will love to see what others are thinking. This might be a revolutionary step for nop commerce.
11 years ago
keesjan wrote:
Performance is always important.

The database seems to be the biggest performance bottleneck esp. on limited hardware.

Maybe we can do something revolutionary and instead of sql server use RavenDB.

RavenDB is a transactional document database written in C#.
It's very very fast. It's easy to use, does not require a lot of server resources.
It's schema free so we can store products as is (no mapping needed, no extra tables
to define attributes) It feels like a perfect fit for nopCommerce

For more info: ravendb.net

RavenDB is very fast, flexible, has developer-friendly api, but it needs paid licence for commercial use. Other NO-SQL Solutions like MongoDB + C# api might be better choice, but they are no or not very good hosted servers I know of - important for low-demanding/low-cost microsites.

DAL might be front-end bottleneck at the moment, but implementing proper full-page caching might be better solution.
11 years ago
jansubrt wrote:
RavenDB is very fast, flexible, has developer-friendly api, but it needs paid licence for commercial use.

As I understand the license: when the product is open source (like nopCommerce) no commercial license is needed.
http://ravendb.net/licensing
11 years ago
keesjan wrote:
RavenDB is very fast, flexible, has developer-friendly api, but it needs paid licence for commercial use.

As I understand the license: when the product is open source (like nopCommerce) no commercial license is needed.
http://ravendb.net/licensing

It will require a commercial license for the store owner.
11 years ago
jariwalakrunal wrote:
MultiStore & Azure support also performance improvements. I think it is most important tasks

Agreed except MultiStore, I believe that before adding new features. NopCommerce should have best performance out of the box. Then definitely multistore need to be added.

100% agree on performance before other features.

I would also like to emphasize stability and transparency of this project, which directly limits community involvement.

Some of my recomendations are as follows:

- Public Continuous Integration Server (Teamcity, TFS, Hudson, etc., usualy free for opensource)
- Public Wiki editable by community
- Code-Quality - better unit test coverage
- Automated acceptence testing + public living documentation (specflow + speclog, mspecs.. free for opensource)

All of those recomendations should make nopcommerce project more transparent to community and hopefully more stable. They can be implemented independently and gradually.
11 years ago
carlosmartinezt wrote:
it will require a commercial license for the store owner.

I've asked Oren eini (creator of RavenDB) to clarify:

Store owner does NOT need a commercial license

Unless changes are made to nopcommerce which are not published as open source

But let's not hijack this thread further with licensing discussions, using RavenDB or
another document database is just one of many solutions to a problem
11 years ago
I think anybody has his own needs and wishes, according to his experience. Many small feature improvements are necessary to achieve more flexibility and usability, so I think that voting is a good starting point to choose what to improve. From one release to another maybe all or part of each wishes will be accomplished.

There are instead very important features that, sooner or later, must necessary be implemented:

1) Multistore, each with its own theme and views, and multiwarehose
2) Auction
3) Report builder, so it will be possibile to implement report customization without delving deeper into code, in a similar manner as email messages, via a report builder, in HTML
4) B2B Support. Nop is an excellent B2C but a poor B2B solution
5) More plugin flexibility and encapsulation, so plugins become somehow version indipendent (as WP, Drupal, Prestashop)

And finally, performance, is always a key point.
11 years ago
infinito62 wrote:
3) Report builder, so it will be possibile to implement report customization without delving deeper into code, in a similar manner as email messages, via a report builder, in HTML.

Agreed.  I'd like to see more ideas on how this could be implemented.
11 years ago
Thank you Andrei. I find the roadmap for 2.7 very balanced. It is important to keep up with the pluggability  which opens the way for more contributions/extensions. The survey missed to include ACL on categories/product which is the most voted workitem in Codeplex after Multistore/Multivendor/Dropshipping.

My priorities:

1) Prerformance and performance and performance.
2) Multivendor
3) B2B, which often requires:
    - ACL on categories/products
    - Performance for handling several thousands of products

For this discussion here is the list of 20 most voted unassigned work items:

VOTES     WORK ITEM
119       Multistore
71        Dropshipping and multiple warehouse support. Multi vendor support
63        Bundled products
58        ACL on Categories
53        ACL on Products
50        Performance optimization. Cache entities between requests, two-level caching (Entity Framework limitation)
43        Paid Registrations
41        Rental Feature
37        Windows Azure support
37        Google Website Optimizer integration
34        Add ability to specify values for specification attributes for products
34        Increased forum functionality
33        Auction support
32        Ability to allow customer to choose free gift on checkout
32        Product Attributes pre-defined
31        Increased Blog functionality
28        New real one-page checkout (contribution)
28        Allow a store owner to download available plugins in admin area (from nopCommerce official site)
27        eBay integration
25        Use JQuery Slideshows for Featured Products, Related Products and Cross Sell

IMO Add ability to specify values for specification attributes for products should also be included because it gives a great flexibility to add different types of extra fields (text, url, jpg, etc.) to the product (as specification attributes) and there is almost a plugin for it. Check:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/11816/product-specification-value-mod-for-2021.aspx
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/7288/extra-fields.aspx
https://www.nopcommerce.com/p/177/product-specification-value-mod.aspx
11 years ago
To go along with better CMS Support, I think that we need to allow nop admins control of the main menu (this would include sub-menus). If I was a client, I would find it ridiculous that I would have to contact the developer of my site to add items to a menu for me and have to pay for their time when so many other parts of the site are dynamic and can be controlled through the admin. Selecting what layout a topic takes on as well is very important from a client perspective.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.