Smartstore violates nopCommerce license terms!!! Let's discuss

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
networkfusion wrote:

Thanks for the link. It could be useful. But I absolutely don't agree that SmartStore is better suited for the European market. It had some new functionality required by German market in the past but all of it is also already available in the upcoming version of nopCommerce. Furthermore, there are hundreds of new features (enhancements, bug fixes) added to nopCommerce since it was cloned by SmartStore. nopCommerce has MUCH more advantages (features, ecosystem, community, number of installations, themes and plugins, speed of development, etc).
8 years ago
It pleased me listen that the process for SmartStore is not good.

It is missing but a very important function (PAngV). Without this feature, nopCommerce can not properly be used for Germany.
I hope that it will be available in version 3.60. So many German users can use nopCommerce.
8 years ago
fbfrank wrote:
...I hope that it will be available in version 3.60...

Hi Frank,

Thanks. It will.
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:
...I hope that it will be available in version 3.60...
Hi Frank,

Thanks. It will.

Did you "borrow" it from their code base? Surely they won't mind!

Hardy harr har! ;)
8 years ago
theonlylawislove wrote:
Did you "borrow" it from their code base? Surely they won't mind!

No. That's why I've never seen how that 2-3 features (required for German market) are implemented in SmartStore. Especially considering that their implementation was quite easy (it took about one hour to implement them)
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:
The court was hold on several days ago. And it's not finished yet (again). I'll write a detailed post about it in several days. I have to get a confirmation from the lawyers about what information I'm allowed to share publicly.

Here is what we have now (after oral hearing):

The Judges are convinced that SmartStore AG breaks the law and violates our license. But the court is not convinced that Andrei (me) is the author of nopCommerce. We have to proof the authorship. We also have to proof that the transfer of rights form Andrei to Nop Solutions Ltd was okay (according to Russian law). The court states that there is no doubt that Nop Solutions Ltd. exists. So we (Nop Solutions Ltd.) just need to prove that we are the license holder. The Court will send us detailed information in the next few weeks.

SmartStore AG has chances if they can prove that they implemented their own software from scratch (of course, it's simply not possible). Summarized the court stated that if we can proof that Nop Solutions Ltd. is the license holder we will win.
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:
The court was hold on several days ago. And it's not finished yet (again). I'll write a detailed post about it in several days. I have to get a confirmation from the lawyers about what information I'm allowed to share publicly.
Here is what we have now (after oral hearing):

The Judges are convinced that SmartStore AG breaks the law and violates our license. But the court is not convinced that Andrei (me) is the author of nopCommerce. We have to proof the authorship. We also have to proof that the transfer of rights form Andrei to Nop Solutions Ltd was okay (according to Russian law). The court states that there is no doubt that Nop Solutions Ltd. exists. So we (Nop Solutions Ltd.) just need to prove that we are the license holder. The Court will send us detailed information in the next few weeks.

SmartStore AG has chances if they can prove that they implemented their own software from scratch (of course, it's simply not possible). Summarized the court stated that if we can proof that Nop Solutions Ltd. is the license holder we will win.

Did they really resort to suggesting that you (Andrei) do not own nopCommerce?!? It is like they see themselves losing, and just want to punch you anyway for the heck of it. Who do they then suggest ACTUALLY owns nopCommerce? Since, you know, Andrei, you are just some random stranger.

Thanks for the laugh! ;)
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:

It is ridiculous what they want to prove, with so much evidence like this:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/17417/gplv2-license-question-with-derived-work.aspx#71161
8 years ago
Also they admit they forked nop here:

http://community.smartstore.com/index.php?/topic/46156-smartstore-is-no-longer-available-on-codeplex-o/page-2

no legal sh... I'm really pissed off! I spent a lot of time developing SmartStore.NET, many thousand hours. My other 3 colleagues did the same, so I also speak on behalf of them. Of course we forked nopCommerce and saved much time with initial coding, but no one can deny the huge efforts we put into the project. No one has the right to declare years of work as obsolete! nopCommerce Ltd. has to realize that there is absolutely no point in suing us, because I personally will never allow anybody to zero my last years' main work. I have enough spirit to resist and I surely will.
8 years ago
ajberry wrote:
No one has the right to declare years of work as obsolete!

AFAIK, the work you do can still be used and shared and used commercially. You just have to comply to NPL, which requires you to pay for copyright removal.

ajberry wrote:
I have enough spirit to resist and I surely will.

Why not submit your awesome work as a pull-request into nopCommerce? Why create a fork in the first place? Nobody wants to invalidate your work. It is awesome. It looks absolutely great, no kidding. Why can't we work together?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.