nopCommerce 1.8 roadmap. Let's discuss.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:

Because a store owner could want to implement and use one of the online Europe tax providers (similar to Strike Iron Basic in USA).

"Tax By Country & State" can do that if it's properly configured

You can't leave this feature half baked just because somebody in the future might want to use some online service that doesn't exist yet.

"Tax By Country & State" is too complicated and not targetted at VAT. That's why I wrote the VAT Provider in the first place!!!

We already have (now) a field in the database saying if a specified country is in the EU. We know if the customer is VAT registered or not. We know if we're shipping inside our own country, outside the EU, or to another country within the EU.

Now all we need to finish that calculation off is to know what tax rate to apply to each product.

Using that provider would mean setting up multiple entries for every country in the EU! (One entry for each VAT rate multiplied by the number of countries in the EU). All an EU shop needs is 2 or 3 VAT/tax categories (standard rate, zero rate etc). Once we've established that the customer is subject to VAT we really don't care any more what country they're in. The government of the country the shop is in sets the actual percentage rate, it doesn't matter if I'm shipping to Holland, Belgium or Italy if the customer is subject to VAT he pays the same rate (17.5% or 0% depending on category).

The easiest way to do it is to add a VAT rate/default tax rate field to the Tax Category. As you've taken most of the logic from the VAT Provider and put it into VAT Manager all the VAT Provider has to do is calculate the tax rate for each product.

Of course you could call it something like "Tax By Category provider" and then anybody who wants to be able to  have different tax rates for different products can use it. Honestly, this feature is not in Nop. You can have one tax rate for everything, or you can use the complicated country/state provider which kinda defeats the object of writing all this code to simplify things for the end user. We've already established that the customer is subject to VAT, we don't care any more which country he's in.

The provider needn't be much more than:

// Get the tax category for the product:
            ProductVariant product = calculateTaxRequest.Item;
            if (product == null || product.IsTaxExempt)
                return 0;
            else if (product.TaxCategory == null)
                throw new TaxCategoryNullException();

/* other logic/checks are now in TaxManager, we just don't get called if the order is VAT exempt */

// Get and return the tax rate associated with the tax category:
            return product.TaxCategory.DefaultTaxRate;
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:

Is there a web service button in the admin area so the admin can check the web service results manually?

No

No

I provided the control and the code to do that, would you like me to wire into the 1.8 code base? Seems a shame to waste it and I can't imagine store owners being happy at not having full control over who they charge 0% VAT to! (Get it wrong and can be a big fine).

http://nopdemo.gloucestersoftware.com/Administration/CustomerDetails.aspx?CustomerID=37
13 years ago
At nopCommerce team:
"You do a fantastic job, and the work you have done is very useful. By now there must be  thousands of sites using nopCommerce. When changes are made, that are related to SEO, care should be taken, so that ranking is not affected (execpt for the better :-). SEO changes are probably the ones with the greatest impact, so when any changes made, if possible, please let us know up front.

Thanks,
Thomas
http://www.slikfabrikken.dk
13 years ago
Addition of new feature (New Idea for upcoming versions)

Any user who will register on the website should be able to add friends or in order words make connections with other users. In the profile page of a user - Along with the username there should be  2 links (add to friend's list / remove from friend's list) and there should be a list of users in friend's list of the user who is logged in.
This feature will make blog and forum section more user-friendly as every user will be able to connect with specific user.

As currently there is no option on the forum/blog to find specific user.

It would be a great feature to add in upcoming version(s) of nopCommerce
13 years ago
I disagree with abcd_12345.

Please don't try to make nopcommerce into some kind of social network. Make it a great shopping cart and focus most of the effort there. The blogging and forums are great to have built in, but I don't expect them to ever be on the same part as a dedicated blog package or a dedicated forum package.

The forum is for customers to discuss items in the store that they are going to purchase or have purchase. It is not intended (at least I hope not) to be the next Facebook, Twitter or buddypress. If people want to connect send them over to facebook.
13 years ago
Feature request: Now that you can have Facebook like buttons everyplace I'd like to see these integrated into every content page and product page. That should be an easy piece of JS you can drop on every page.
13 years ago
patrick24601 wrote:
I disagree with abcd_12345.

Please don't try to make nopcommerce into some kind of social network. Make it a great shopping cart and focus most of the effort there. The blogging and forums are great to have built in, but I don't expect them to ever be on the same part as a dedicated blog package or a dedicated forum package.

The forum is for customers to discuss items in the store that they are going to purchase or have purchase. It is not intended (at least I hope not) to be the next Facebook, Twitter or buddypress. If people want to connect send them over to facebook.

Thank you Patrick for your comments

I would like to give my answer for your comments:

You said " Please don't try to make nopcommerce into some kind of social network."

My Answer:

Forum and Blog are one the most important feature of any e-commerce store and enhancing these features doesn't make nopCommerce a social networking website.

To make your Website appear inviting, warm, and interactive, it may be necessary to invite visitors' express their views on topics related to your business.

E-commerce store gets many benefits from having forum / blog on the website:

1. Allowing you to get educational information on your site.
2. Allowing you to increase traffic through repeat visitors/customers.
3. Allowing you to capture email address and details of posters.
4. Allowing you to gain more creditability.
5. Allowing you to build relationship with visitors/customers.

Forum/Blog sections are the place where all the customers/visitors can put their views and can make good relationship with store owner.

So, Increasing functionality of forum/blog section is as important as increasing functionality of e-commerce features and increasing functionality of these sections doesn't make nopCommerce a social networking website.
13 years ago
Everything you said can already be done with the existing functionality. Maybe expand it a little bit. But this is an ecommerce software first.

It's a slipper slope. One people connect and friend each other why not let them share pictures? Maybe let them have 140 character status updates? Why not let them play games on the forums? Why not let them enter where they work and the year they graduated high school ? Why don't you let each person have their own blog on the site ? Building a community does not come from software features anyways. It comes from people that want to hang around and contribute. They can do that.

If you want to build a community, have friends socialize then get community software first (Like Dolphin) and add on e commerce functionality. If you want to sell items and make money use a strong shopping cart and add some small blog posting and forum features. That has been done and I don't think too much time and effort should be spent on it.
13 years ago
patrick24601 wrote:
Everything you said can already be done with the existing functionality. Maybe expand it a little bit. But this is an ecommerce software first.

It's a slipper slope. One people connect and friend each other why not let them share pictures? Maybe let them have 140 character status updates? Why not let them play games on the forums? Why not let them enter where they work and the year they graduated high school ? Why don't you let each person have their own blog on the site ? Building a community does not come from software features anyways. It comes from people that want to hang around and contribute. They can do that.

If you want to build a community, have friends socialize then get community software first (Like Dolphin) and add on e commerce functionality. If you want to sell items and make money use a strong shopping cart and add some small blog posting and forum features. That has been done and I don't think too much time and effort should be spent on it.

There is a huge difference between what i am saying and what you mentioned...

Did i say anything about shared pictures ? or status updates ? or games ? sorry my friend you're taking my suggestion in a wrong way

I just gave a suggestion for adding a feature by which an online customer can interact with other customers..

My all e-commerce stores are based on Magento , osCommerce  and NopCommerce - I am part of this nopCommerce community since a long time. I very well understand the needs from customer's point of view.

I know current forum / blog feature are more than enuff for store owners who don't even need these feature. But currently there is no feature to find any user on forum / blog. What if there are more than 1 administrators of an e-commerce website and a customer is specifically looking for 1 administrator. There is no feature on forum/blog to find any user. As forum is a discussion area, sometimes customers might wanna talk to each other to get more n more product reviews.

Please take a look at this blog extension of Magento (an e-commerce software) and compare it with blog section of nopCommerce
http://demo.aheadworks.com/12/blog/

My friend, nopCommerce is a great tool and nopCommerce team is doing a great job by providing this program for free to all the users. Now, its our job as community member to provide new ideas and suggestions to nopCommerce team to increase the functionality of this e-commerce project in all areas.
13 years ago
I notice you mentioned an improved cms experience. Maybe I can help?

Why reinvent the wheel? Why new integrate an existing cms into the application?

I know, you may be saying "woa, that would be a nightmare though!" With n2cms though, its not. I have dont integrations with nopcommerce and n2cms before and the end user never knows that there is a whole other application integrated into it.

I have created a project (code written allready) that has integrated the cms, as well with all the nop modules, and more. There are product list modules (for discounts, most sold, and any other), and etc. Even pages with a dynamic url, (product.aspx) can be mapped to one particular cms page, which allows you to add parts to the product page and be made visible on all other products.

n2cms is very lightweight and upgrades are easy. only .dll's and an /N2/ folder. The entire editor is modular (current one uses iframes), so we can create pages in the nop admin that has a nested iframe loading an /n2/ page.

What do you think?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.